How do I bypass my well water filter?

I have no water pressure and the company I use can't service my well until Monday. Does anyone know how I bypass my filter? The last time this happened they bypassed my filter until they could repair it. I have a Braswell system.

Thank you!

Reply to
amy

Can't find anything of Baswell system. What type of filter? Brand? If it has a filter cartridge in a housing, there may be a top that can be turned to bypass mode. If no, there may be a lop of pipe or tubing with valves that are closed. Just open the valves.

Rather than call a service company. learn how to clean the filter yourself and save a bundle of money on service calls.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If it does not have a bypass mode, you can just remove the filter, and put the housing back with no filter in it.

Reply to
Mikepier

The filter/water softener is a Braswell. There is a big blue tank with pvc pipe running to a skinny tan tank (which is the filter). On top of this tank is a knob that says Pull Up for Off and Push Down for On. I assume if I pull it up it will bypass the filter but I can't get it to pull up. I have tried turning it and I still can't pull it up. I'm not sure how to do it or if this will even bypass the filter. There are some other valves but when turned they don't bypass the filter.

Thank you, Amy

Reply to
amy

  1. Tuen off the water supply to the house.

  1. Open hot and cold water taps to drain all pressure

  2. THEN try to move the plunger to OFF.

This is a water softener (not a water filter) that does not have a pre-filter attached. IMHO, this is a NECESSITY for any water softener product installed in a residential environment. I am on city water and it is AMAZING to see how much mud and sludge will accumulate on a 10 micron filter in 6 months!!

All water softeners have a bypass valve, you have found it. But due to the water pressure in the lines, you can't move it. Turn off the water source (well pump, or city water main), open one or more faucets (both hot and cold) to relieve the pressure and try to move the bypass valve again.

Have a SERIOUS discussion with the plumber or the service company that installed this when you call them next week to see how to avoid this problem in the future.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

[...]

Is this a problem with the well or the water softener. If it's the softener, take a look at it. It should have a bypass on it. If you can't one, hopefully you have an instruction manual. If it's the well, like Sgt. Schultz "I know nothing."

In the mean time, drink beer!

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

THANK YOU!!!!!!! I now have water pressure!!! When I bypassed the filter I still didn't have much pressure so I put it back online and then backwashed about 5 times and it seems to have corrected the problem. You guys are the best!

Thank you, Amy

Reply to
amy

Amy,

This is a GREAT clue. The well water is putting too much load on the water softener. The resin is becoming fouled with the mud and dirt dissolved in the well water.

Talk to the plumber/service people who installed the system and get them to install a whole house water filter between the water softener and the well tank. Change the filter at least twice a year, and the system will work MUCH better.

The filter housing is under $30 and the filter is under $10. 10 micron filter media, carbon block is optional (taste and odor) You'll also need a cutoff switch installed so that you can shutoff the water pressure from the well tank so that you can then change the filter. Total cost for this filter install should be under $100.

Reply to
Robert Gammon