Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

One of the houses on my street of victorian terraces has just been "refurbished" which has included the replacement of wooden sash windows with nasty plastic casement ones.

I think I'll contact the relevant department at the local council tomorrow. Somehow I suspect they won't do very much. Even if they do take an interest it would be very easy for the developer to say that the windows have been in there for a while (the street was only designated as a conservation area about five years ago). Anyone have any experience of this type of thing?

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

yeah, mind your own business you annoying, interfering petty little busybody.

Reply to
.

Just what is you f&^#ing problem? It's bad enough that we have these idiotic conservation rules, without people like you going round reporting others. Honestly, hand on heart, how is this impacting your quality of life?

Reply to
Grunff

Unless there's an Article 4 direction I'm not sure that the council can do anything.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If your life is so dull and boring, have you thought of becoming a Refuse Bin Inspector?

Reply to
Marconi

Are you saying that the OP is a Turtill sockpuppet?

Reply to
Marconi

Reply to
Alan

Go for it. There may be several contraventions. Buidling regulations approval. Planning approval. Listed building approval. I might have some sympathy with a homeowner making a mistake, a developer should know better. If one person is taking the p***, others will follow and you may soon live amongst stone cladding and upvc. If he didn't like the rules, he shouldn't have bought the house, and left it for somebody that does appreciate a conservation area.

Reply to
dom

Hi Grunff, Alan, etc

I just don't like the new windows. I must be particularly anal, because I feel the same way about satellite dishes and wheelie bins. Luckily the rules are on my side in my neighbourhood.

Why do I have a feeling that I've unleashed something worse than combi wars?

On the offchance that the signal to noise ratio might rise above zero, anyone have any experience of this? There is already an article 4 direction in force.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

One of the professors here is disabled. She installed PVC doors so that she could easily get in and out of her house. They started to harass her about it, but I believe she just paid the fine and kept her doors. It was in the times last year.

Reply to
Aaron Borbora

The glass will have date codes so the council will be able to check. If the fail to act then report them to the Local government ombudsman.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

But they aren't on your house!

Nooo? Really??

ROFL - the others are right, you really do have way too much time on your hands.

Because no one likes people who unnecessarily interfere in other people's lives?

Reply to
Grunff

While I agree with that sentiment to some degree, reporting someone for breaking the rules in a way that really doesn't affect you in any way is just not on.

Reply to
Grunff

Aaron Borbora ( snipped-for-privacy@merton.ox.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Unless there was a very good reason why the doors HAD to be tupperware instead of a more appropriate material, I fail to see how disability access is a good reason to breach conservation area rules.

Reply to
Adrian

snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com ( snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

Quite so - you put it well. I was wondering when someone would post in support of the OP.

Reply to
DB.

Thanks Peter, didn't know about date codes, a veritable busybodies charter!

Hi again Grunff, good thing we're not neighbours, eh? ;-)

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

It's his house not yours, if you don't like it, f*ck the hell off.

Reply to
Phil L

Grunff ( snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

But it _does_.

Conservation area rules are in place to protect the appearance and character of an area from inappropriate development. That inappropriate development affects the whole area.

If you don't like the restrictions, don't buy in a conservation area. It really is that simple. If you do, then you should expect to be pulled up if you breach those rules.

Reply to
Adrian

Before you embark on your latest quest, be aware that he has full access to all complaints, IE he can (and probably will) go to the council and will be shown letters, transcripts of phone calls and meetings, and any other official complaints made against him by you or anyone else...be also aware that he can do a lot more than replace a few windows to make your house price tumble and lower the general tone of the 'hood.....letting the house to a load of pikeys or painting it vivid pink springs to mind and this is if he's reasonable, if he's not, you might have to replace your own windows too.

Reply to
Phil L