Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

Yes, 47 or 48.

All of the desirable ones and unfortunately some of the less desirable ones as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not in my back yard.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed. Surely part of the "conservation" aspect is the actual material, as much as the casual appearance.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You're missing the point entirely.

Whereas before his land and his tree were his to do with as he pleased, unhindered by anyone, after the Conservation Zone was ordered he would be forced to partake in a lot of completely unnecessary bureaucracy that he hitherto would not have had to partake in.

Now admittedly this is moot, since the tree could simply be undetectably killed then demolished as a danger to his garden, but he shouldn't be subject to such action merely on the whim of some council-appointed busybody.

Reply to
Dan Holdsworth

You could be suffering from Retinitis pigmentosa or Glaucoma, free eye tests are available to check for this.

-
Reply to
Mark

I considered them for my project. I decided that they were OK externally visually, particularly for the application in hand (2 floors above the ground). However, the interior appearance was unacceptable for a master bedroom. I would also hesitate to use them on the ground floor. Finally, although cheaper than wood, they weren't much so. About halfway between the price of a plastic casement and a wooden sash.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

There is no need for council tax supplement. Enforcement could be funded from fines from transgressors and planning application fees. With this method, both people from outside the area and those not planning changes do not pay additional costs.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes, picking and choosing seems like a good idea in this case.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Do I detect a closet racist here?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Christian McArdle ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If so, then I think the closet door is wide open, with a big neon sign pointing the contents out.

Reply to
Adrian

That would be another way.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've never understood why a plastic couldn't be developed that actually looked like wood painted white.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Well that's the difference in our philosophy. In my book the decider for whether your house should be in a CA is not whether it is barely spoilt, rather whether the area is of particular merit. IOW "this is the best example of late large Victorian houses in the Borough" should be the test, not "this is one of 23 examples of late large Victorian houses in the Borough"

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I don't know the building but probably not. However it would probably be judged to be in the finest 1%? 2%? of buildings in the country and on that basis special protection is arguably justified.

According to LB Camden website "A conservation area is an area of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance." and more than 50% of the borough is in a CA. When more than 50% is special ISTM that the word has been seriously devalued.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Why should I have to pay (I wouldn't at present) have to pay to get permission to prune my trees. Even more, why should I have to pay to (try and) get permission to prune overhanging branches of my neighbour's tree

- if I cut them back without permission I am liable to a £10K fine.

How much, with on-costs, do you think that it costs the Council to process each application for works to trees in a CA? I somehow doubt whether it's less than £200. Why is council tax so high - ever more bureaucracy like this.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The problem is not in the surfaces, which can be made acceptable. You might even find something sufficiently UV stable. I find the main visual impairments are:

  1. Joins, which are too dark, obvious and mismatched. They often open up when the window is stressed by movement or differential heat expansion. The non smooth joint also attracts dirt. A wooden window has these joins glued and planed off for a solid joint that won't have surface roughness or movement.
  2. Physical size. uPVC is weak, which means that all members are too fat in all directions. This cuts down on the glazing size, gives a tellytubby appearance and makes the window too deep, so that the top sash juts out much further than the bottom.

Indeed, when I looked at them, the plastic sash window was actually a good inch wider than the wall into which it was to be installed. The wooden sash, even double glazed was a perfect match.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Tony Bryer ( snipped-for-privacy@delme.sda.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I wouldn't disagree with you there.

Sounds like the normal planning regs for the borough need to rethought, and the CA status brought back to more appropriate levels.

Reply to
Adrian

Actually my philosophy is that the majority of residents want it. It is just that residents of unspoilt period streets are more likely to want it than others.

It does have some history. It was originally called the "Belle Vue" estate when built in 1909. What happened was that a local builder, with insufficient capitalisation, started building houses at one end of one street. He would build a few and then get the cash for them to enable him to build more. However, his designs got ever more elaborate with each tranche as his bank balance grew, so the houses get bigger and more ornate in batches along the street and then coming back the other way. We live in the first, cheapest block, which is the only terraced one, with six houses, but with high specificiation in Victorian/Edwardian Reading terms.

There certainly aren't any other comparable streets in Reading. The houses are far more similar to those built contemporaneously in the London suburbs, with bay windows extending to the upper storey. The subtle changes in house style (i.e. terracesemi, brick colour, bay angles, roof pitch, etc.) every block of houses is pretty unique and lends real character.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Personally, I don't think that general tree maintenance should be subject to approval. Also, the rules for tree removal should take into account the existing tree cover and whether excessive provision has been provided. OK, if it is the only tree for miles, it should be protected. If you have what amounts to an aboretum interferring with your enjoyment of the property, there should be much laxitude given.

Indeed. Tree pruning and like-for-like maintenance should be removed from the system.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If everyone who comlained about a tree being cut down simply planted another one, there would be no problem.

I trashed about 50 trees in my garden. Have replanted at least 30 so far..nice trees: Trees I WANT to be there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher