Replacement windows regulations

On 13 Jan 2004, James wrote

on the basis of the energy it takes to make the material.

Being such consistent souls, I imagine they ensure they cycle rather than drive to the factory gates when they protest.

On cycles with light-weight, high-tech, expensively-produced metal frames.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

It seems the wisdom of the present building regulations regarding replacement windows is being increasingly questioned.

See the following on the BBC website

James

Interesting. However, they have missed the main point -- in a house of an age where you are considering replacing the windows, just about anything else you can find to spend the money on for energy conservation purposes will give you a much better energy saving than going for the extra cost of K glass.

I made a point of getting mine done just before the regs came in, and the money saved more than paid for a condensing boiler and additional roof insulation which will save vastly more energy than the more expensive windows would have.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I know of several householders who've recently had their timber sash windows restored in keeping with the age of the property. None have had them replaced with DG units as the well recommended restorer said they couldn't do it effectively in timber. So it seems the regs are being wildly ignored.

Reply to
BillR

This does, however, leave the householder in an uncomfortable and very exposed position (unless proper dispensation from the building inspectors has been obtained). They (the householder) are responsible for ensuring that bregs have been complied with, and responsible for any remedy, not the person carrying out the work. Whether there is any come-back on the installer in the contract is another matter.

However, if receipts for the work have been misplaced, and in absence of other evidence, it would be difficult for either the council or a future purchaser's solicitor to prove that the work had been carried out post regs, because traditional windows with SG woudl not have the date stamp that is present on manufactured DG units.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Restored is not the same as replaced. If they are replaced in their entirety they must comply with Building Regs - but the Buildings regs do have relaxed regs for historic buildings and those in conservation areas etc.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Farrall

At current prices I could heat my house for 20 years for the cost of replacing the windows with double glazing if some of the quotes I have had are anything to go by.

Sapa who make Aluminium extrusions for window frames told me that they are expecting the regulations to be even tougher in a few years time, which is why they are introducing their Dualframe product to replace the Monarch Monaframe range which would no longer meet the regulation requirements.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

BillR wrote

No. Restoring old timber windows does not require Building Regulations approval - the Regs only apply when the complete window frame is being replaced.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor