Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

We have all of those things already. Especially after the old BX in someone's garden was removed.

Personally, I think the lack of plastic windows puts the chavs off living there in the first place.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Really! I must be chav then, as I happen to like plastic windows. Where did I put my whippet?

Reply to
Aaron Borbora

Mine's still there :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The message from Stuart Noble contains these words:

Nah, they'd just shoot the estate agents. So - not everything's bad in Iraq.

Reply to
Guy King

Absolutely.

It's called "zero tolerance" - in this case of chavvy naffness.

Residents' Association 1, Satellite dishes allowed to remain more than three days nil.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That still would not work for me, if you have a nice period property like this

windows will always look wrong.

For the lovers of plastic tack there will always be new build estates like

the fake Tudor panels are plastic and really you cant tell the difference, from a distance ;-(

-
Reply to
Mark

What distance? Google Earth?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Glad to hear it. For the record I live in a 20 year old house, on a modern estate. I often pick litter up in the road outside, place upright *again* the council's bin on a nearby footpath, and take a cloth of solvent to street furniture.

Perhaps someone from a "Victorian conservation area" can explain to me how their street is permitted to be cluttered up with modern but roadworthy motor vehicles, and sodium street lighting. I assume all VHF and UHF yagi antennas have been removed from the chimney stacks BTW ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Do you allow the far more unsightly outdoor terrestrial TV aerials?

Reply to
Cynic

I'm not that keen. I just have the police and the council on speed dial :-P

At least our antennae are round the back of the building. Unfortunately that doesn't get satellite footprint as far as I know.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not on the front of the building, no.

They're round the back where the washhouses and middens used to be.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Were you permitted to relocate them indoors ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Yes, we now have indoor middens.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What a revolting pastiche, I suppose they're going for the chav market.

One thing you have to watch out for in Victorian conservation areas is the tendency to stick wooden 4 x 3 pane mock Georgian windows in. Then of course there is the ubiquitous 'Wendy house' door, eg.

clear example of architectural infantilism. Roof tiles are another of my pet hates.

All of these offensive architectural features where attempted in a planning application opposite me (I live in a conservation area). I objected and got the application turned down on those grounds, three times until it was suitably modified. It has now been accepted pending detailed plans (which I'll scrutinize with equal care). So I urge the original poster to take a firm stand and don't tolerate plastic crap any more than you would stone cladding.

Reply to
Scott

To be honest im not that bothered by plastic windows in modern houses But front doors are another matter Take your pick from these fine examples

-
Reply to
Mark

That's one way to reduce the value of your property. Buy a property with a door like that you know you're going to be faced with artex ceilings, pebble dashed walls, a bright pink bathroom suite, and polystyrene cornices and moldings.

Reply to
Scott

The terrible thing is that the people who festoon their houses with this hideous old tat usually regard it as home *improvement* (see the strap line at the top of the Anglian site).

Say what you like about the victorian cowboys, but their houses are generally still standing and for the most part their adornments are still in tact (or would be but for tupperware vandalism). I wonder what that estate of tudor plastic pastiches will look like in a hundred years time (or even thirty).

In my house the only windows I've had to replace were some horrible aluminium double-glazed ones in a 1986 rear extension which had long outlived their lifespan. All the victorian sashes are working fine.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

The mock tudor house would have looked better if the non-openers had been fitted with false vents, and if the vertical black features ("timbers" - probbly PVCu!!!) and mullions had been in alignment.

Reply to
ian henden

It's not just a case of wooden sash windows. Planning departments will also control the height of the fence in front of your house and whether you are allowed to put dormer windows on the roof at the front of the house. Thank God they do control the extravagances of some people in the interests of the whole community. For the record, I am in the process of replacing the ghastly and malfunctioning plastic windows in my Victorian house on the the side of Victoria Park here in Tower Hamlets with wooden ones, using the examples that I can still see around me.

Maris

Reply to
Maris

Snap, that's exactly what I am planning to do. The windows on the front elevation will be lovingly restored to contribute to the streetscape whilst I shall rip out the ghastly louvre windows that have been inserted in the back elevation and replace them with the salvaged plastic windows from the front. Since the plastic windows will be more airtight (I'm not denying that) it will cut down down on through draughts here at the edge of Victoria Park. As you say, a reasonable compromise.

Maris

Reply to
Maris