Replace fence posts without disturbing fence

I've got a six foot high wooden fence..... a proper constructed one and not a fence panel one. Its got 4"x"4" posts, several of which are quite badly rotten just below the surface. How easy is it to replace the rotten posts in isolation without disturbing the rest of the fence?
Thanks.
--
Paul Giverin

Easy enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH8m24YqG24

--

Chris

On 11/18/2016 7:27 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:

I agree that this is an easy repair method, if you don't mind the appearance.
But if the OP wants to *replace* we need more details of the construction, and also to ask how old it was, and whether alternative precautions are necessary to extend the life in future.
On 18/11/2016 19:27, Chris Hogg wrote:

Until you find that the wooden posts have been bedded in with a barrow load of concrete.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Then he will need one of these http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Carbon-Steel-Demolition-Crowbar-1500mm/p/167422
--

Chris

On 18/11/2016 20:39, Chris Hogg wrote:

Even then it can be hard work (DAMHIK)
ANdy
On 18/11/2016 21:55, Vir Campestris wrote:

Wouldn't it be a lot easier with an SDS drill?
On 18/11/2016 20:18, alan_m wrote:

I did several like that except with the bigger spur posts you can get.
You use a big SDS drill to break the concrete on one side, dig out the rotten post from the remaining concrete fill the resulting channel and drop the spur in, bolt it up and fill in the rest of the hole. It doesn't need to a continuous ring of new concrete as it requires virtually no tensile strength.
On 18/11/2016 18:46, Paul Giverin wrote:

I put new posts midway between the old ones, and left the old ones in place. I intended to remove them but couldn't really see the point when it came to it. I would have had to join the rails where the old posts had been.
Bill
Job for an illusionist by the sound of it. Brian
--
----- -
On 18/11/2016 18:46, Paul Giverin wrote:

It's not.
Saw the ends off the arris rails up against the rotten posts, lift out the panel, replace the posts (as others have said, this is easy or hard depending on how much concrete there is), replace the posts (don't bother making the mortices), refit the panel using these brackets http://www.screwfix.com/p/arris-rail-brackets-300mm-10-pack/48243 to attach the ends of the arris rails. If there's too much concrete around the old post bases then divide a two-bay run into a three-bay run so you can put the new posts somewhere easy. However you decide to tackle it, I would use concrete spurs and bolt the new (or, possibly, old) posts to them so they won't rot again.
On 19/11/2016 12:45, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Ooops, forgot to point out the b obvious that you'll need some new arris for one run and to transfer the feather edge.

On 19/11/2016 12:45, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

I hadn't considered using concrete repair spurs. Perhaps that would be the easiest option. I would still have to chip away at the concrete at the base of the rotted post to enable the spurs to go deep enough but it sounds easier than replacing the posts. Thanks.