Car battery jumper packs

Been toying with the idea of getting one of these battery pack jumper thingies like this one on the Bay of Fleas:

Any preferred brands? Does that one look like a good one? Are they worthwhile or just a 'toy' that doesn't work particularly well?

Reply to
Munch

They are incorrectly described as a 'starter'. If you tried to use it as such the wires would melt.

Reply to
Graham T

Watch this, then decide ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

and it has started a diesel 2.0l VW Touran with a dead battery (lights on, no crank action left).

I was surprised... It seems to hold its charge well too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I can't comment on any particular one, but my stepson, an ex VW master tech and AA patrol, got one from eBay. When he saw it 'in the flesh' he didn't think it would start a car, but when the battery on his Transit was failing, it started that three times in one day, re-charging it after the second use.

He has subsequently used it on other cars, and unless the non-starting vehicle's battery was completely dead (as in won't turn on the interior light) then it has worked every time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I have a couple of Floureon brand (not a typo) and they seem fine. The "bricks" which also do USB and laptop power up to 19 volt use lithium batteries. I would steer clear of the 12 volt only type with a handle, these use (small, low quality) lead acid batteries, at least in the cheaper versions.

Reply to
newshound

My Floureons look virtually identical to this. My main thought on the one you linked to was that it was at the bottom end of the price range, but seemed to claim unreasonably high capacity. So personally, I would go with something "branded", also Amazon's no quibble replacement of anything faulty is better and easier than eBay's. Now I come to think about it, one of mine suffered an obvious switch failure in the first month (lost its positive "click"), but sorted easily by Amazon.

Reply to
newshound

My 1.8 diesel Connect wouldnt start so borrowed my mates RoyPow charger and it started it no problem. So I bought one, nice and compact to store under seat.

sintv

This video does not exist.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Finger trouble, skip to 4:45 for car related bits

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

Those mercury arc rectifiers in the background look interesting :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Oh he does plenty of "interesting" things, seems to know enough not to kill himself ... surprised he hasn't managed to burn his house down yet though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There used to be lots of them in Underground stations. Used to generate DC for powering lifts and things like that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Cinemas and theatres too. For arc lights and projectors. Marvellous things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They all seem to lie about capacity. For example this one:

is 8000mAh. They can't possibly have a DC-DC converter in there for

300A starting current, so the cells must be in series up to at least 12V. That means you'd think it would be 12V x 8000mAh = 96Wh, but the seller says lower down it's 30Wh. 8000mAh x 3.7V cell voltage = 29.6Wh so they're just adding up the capacity of the lithium cells, which isn't how watts, amps and volts work.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I wonder where he managed to find a CLK500 that hasn't been started in months, yet has been parked on a single yellow line all that time...?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Why not just buy the battery for $50?

The Natural Philosopher

If there are no "hours" signs, what does a single yellow line mean?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Because, at post-Brexit prices, $50 is GBP40.49 (+VAT+import fee). The Amazon pack is GBP29.99, and for that you get a charging circuit, battery manager and leads as well.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Is Floureon a decent brand, or just a made-up name like all the others? Because I note there's:

44Wh for 28 quid, looks decent value? Though the reviews are a bit mixed.

Theo

Reply to
Theo