cordless battery packs

My NiCad battery pack has a diode between the negative terminal & center terminal (not +) for some type sensing while on the charger. Does anyone know what type diodes are usually used - gp, zener, switching? Yeah, mine is open and needs replacing.

Also, Nicad battery packs have a life span of xxx number of charges. How does the number generally compare to the number of Lithium battery charges before they need replacement?

Red

Reply to
Red

Ah hell, disregard the 1st part of the post. I think it's a thermistor. !st time I checked a good battery it checked like a diode, but now it's showing what it really is. I assume the thermistor is monitoring battery temp. Still would like to know how Nicad vs Lithium battery life compares though.

Reply to
Red

Yes. It's a more accurate way to sense terminal charge than the negative delta-V method. It's essentially a requirement for NiMH.

They're different. NiCds are very poor for applications where they go unused for long periods of time. Lithium-Ion types are quite a bit better, in this regard, however they have a limited number of charge cycles (no matter how shallow the discharge is). NiCds are better in this regard. There is no perfect battery technology.

Reply to
krw