Battery jumper units

I was just in a auto fix it place and they were selling these LIon battery unit capable of assisting in start a car with a dead battery. This is the unit they were selling:

I like this unit because it can also charge all you tablets, smartphone and laptops. There's even a 19 volt output to power a laptop. They guy said he didn't really believe that they were that good, however, after getting one and using on several occasions, he was sold on it. He charged too much, but that's retail.

Anyone have any experience in these, or similar products? Thanks.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I saw the spec for the battery. Work out to about 4 amp hours. My jumper packs are 17 and 19 amp hours. I doubt that will jump vehicles very well. Might do the other functions.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That depends on how it is rated. 4AH, 8 amps for 30 minutes, 16 amps for 15 minutes, 32 amps for 5.5 minutes, 240 amps for 1 minute.

IF the battery is designed to produce high current (low internal resistance) it is very possible that it could start an engine with a dead battery. Mabee even 480 amps for 30 seconds - - - - - -

Reply to
clare

Harbor Freight sells a basic jump starting unit:

Or they have a fancy unit for doing more devices with it:

KLayton888

It's physically possible, but I want to see it in person. My 22 amp hour jumper pack (made for cars) from Horrid Fright didn't start my Blazer one day when my 17 amp Winchester Sport Pac did.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My 22 amp HF jumper pack didn't start my Blazer, one morning. I'd just bought the pack, and had it on charge the whole night before.

Tried my 17 amp Winchester Sport Pac which did start it. Took the Horrid Fright unit back, and bought one (for my work van) from Napa Auto Parts. It cost more, but has worked many times for me. And worked for other stranded motorists.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's not the amp hours that matter for a booster pack, it's the CCA (or ca) rating. How much current can it supply for a short time, not how long can it supply a low current.

Reply to
clare

Yeah, my mechanic said he's already used it to start 2 tractors on his property. He said that he could have gotten an extension cord to the area and used a traditional battery charger or booster, but this was so easy. He also said that is started a car and the unit hadn't been charged for something like 8 or 9 months. The manufacturer recommends about every 6 months and it can be charged via a wall wart or the lighter socket plug in the car. My son looked at the amazon ad and saw that there were 4.5 stars with 156 overwhelmingly positive reviews. BTW, one of the good engineering things is that the cables to your battery are only about 6" long, almost eliminating any cable resistance.

Reply to
Art Todesco

On the other hand, some times there is new technology and I don't quite grok it for a long time. This sounds like such a moment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon