Battery boost

What do you recomend for a dead batery booster?

Reply to
Eagle

Generally, I pop them out and get new replacements. Did you mean AA or AAA?

Now days, I try and buy only alkalines, or NiMH. Won't buy carbons or nicads these days.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Dead" (as in unable to accept a charge)? Or, just "flat" (needing a charge)?

Reply to
Don Y

DerbyDad03

That's about as good as anything when he doesn't even say what kind of battery it is.

Reply to
trader_4

Depends on the battery, dude.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

If the battery booster is dead, I recommend you use a battery booster booster.

Reply to
taxed and spent

I mean car a battery. I have a cheap charger, but that thing seems to not work very well. I was checking battery boosters and chargers and see that the tech has improved drastically from a large wheeled box to a small lithium box you can carry around in the glove box.

Reply to
Eagle

I've found in general there are three kinds of booster.

One, I'd call a charger. Plugs into extension cord, and changes 110 VAC to 12 VDC. Those range from float chargers to wheeled charger and booster.

Second, commonly called jumper cables. These use a running vehicle to provide battery power to a vehicle with low or dead battery.

Third is what I personally call a booster. Has a battery of its own. Clips to the car battery. The internal battery needs to be charged between uses (and on occasion as they go dead from the passage of time).

That said, I've tried three battery boosters. One from Harbor Freight didn't work, and got returned. One from BJ's Wholesale Club had a battery that went dead, and I was able to buy another battery. Years later, a third battery.

The more expensive (About $100) from Napa booster pack is on its first battery, and should still work fine.

As to the lithium cell boosters, I've never used one, and can't comment on them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, guys, here is what Pat Goss and George Kurkowski have to say on this topic...

Gordon Shumway

Put some salt on it. I heard about a guy who put salt on a battery and he was charged in seconds. He was charged with SALT and BATTERY !!!

  • Now, that's a serious charge!
Reply to
Paintedcow

Thank you. Those guys seemed to be pleased. I noticed they didn't jump a real car as part of their description. But, such is brief display.

I'm OK with the old booster pack for now. But when I'm in auto parts stores, I will be sure to view the products, and check prices.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here is what Pat Goss and George Kurkowski have to say on this topic...

Gordon Shumway

Excuse me for being blunt, but will you quit starting all these extra friggin' threads instead of replying to the original thread!

Damn!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

GROAN!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Don't you just hate it when you go to your book shelf and pull down a book of "Lassie and the tin horn". You curl up with a blanket, and open the book. The book is about injection molding plastic in the

1980s.

I get the same reaction with usenet thread drift.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It took you years before you learned where to type your reply -- either top or bottom. How long will it take you to learn how to either reply to the original thread or start an entirely new thread WITH A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SUBJECT!

Also, the previous thread didn't start out about Lassie and drift to plastic. You hijacked the farkin thread right out of the box. You're becoming more like that son of a bitch at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. every day -- It's not my fault!

By the way, Happy new year.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Amazon doesn't have it... Your search "lassie and the tin horn" did not match any products.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

If batteries going dead, because of lights left on, or drain from alarms, or playing the radio, is an ongoing probelm, I'd recommend Priority Start. It's 80 dollars or so, but I expect I'll never have a problem again. I'll take out of each old car and put it into each new car.

Also comes in 24 volt and in marine style.

It disconnects the battery before the battery is so weak it can't start the car. No need to open the hood to reconnect, just put your foot on the brake.

I've had mine for 3 years.

Reply to
Micky

Pat Goss used to have a great show live on WRC, DC, probably on Sundays, but he's wrong when he says battery cables are obsolete and very dangerous.

I carry them and a girl asked me for a jump just two weeks ago.

Reply to
Micky