reminder: Fred Dibnah's Made in Britain 8:30 BBC2

deff on topic, Fred was the ultimate DIY'er

RT

Reply to
[news]

He was actually a joiner by trade, and went tech college, etc, not one of these pick it up types.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

yeah, right, chippies just *know* how to do steeplejacking, boilermaking, turning, stone masonry, exquisite drawings, etc, etc, they don't pick it up along the way

RT

Reply to
[news]

Are you saying he wasn't a chippie?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

And it was excellent. :-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He probably picked it all up reading Practical Mechanics or some similar magazine whose monthly contents page looks something like

- An Easy-to-Make Tricycle for the Children

- Building Your Own Observatory

- Practical Nuclear Power For the Suburban Home

- How To Change A Kettle Element

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Heh heh. Old George - still working well into his '70s, probably would have. He reckoned the chippie was in charge of all the trades, where there was no actual foreman. So made it his business to know at least as much as anyone on site. Just like IMM thinks he does. But George actually did.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no, I'm saying he *was* one of those pick it up types

how else would he have accomplished everything he did without picking a few skills up along the way, however he got them, at college, from books or getting tips of his wide circle of mates ?

your theory that he was 'not one of these pick it up types' is seriously flawed

RT

Reply to
[news]

No theory involved. Fact: he was a college educated joiner. He was taught technical drawing, which he used in many of his subsequent projects. He was able to fall back on his college education to help him along. He had that technical education base, which also gave him technical analysis and the ability of technical understanding.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Remind us of which college you claimed to go to so we know which one to avoid?

FWIW, many schools when he were a lad taught technical drawing, applied mechanics, and woodwork or metalwork.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

...the loonie is at it again....just read.....

He thinks I went to Dibnahs college....

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I'd be surprised if you went to school, let alone college.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And a "natural" TV presenter:))

Reply to
tony sayer

All of them get courses on how to present.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

In article , Doctor Evil writes

Yes I know I've been on one;!, but he was a natural, and as much as you can train someone, some people just have that talent.

BTW when's your first show;)

Reply to
tony sayer

A long time ago.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

He was on last week...."Interference" ;-)

Reply to
Kaiser

An expert on TV production now. Will your talents never start?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, is the Combi World channel offering a buy-one get-one-free deal on this luxury gem-encrusted high-flow combi boiler with brass-effect fittings please allow six months for non-delivery

Owain

Reply to
Owain

...our popular caber making person says.....wait for it...he does...

.....yes he says that......would you believe it.....

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil