Kitchen Appliances 'Made in Britain@

Are there any?

We are in the process of re-fitting a kitchen. SWMBO wants to fit only white goods made in the UK. She vwas looking at Hotpoint until she was told that they were made in china/far east. Are there any manufacturers who make wquipment in the UK?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I think our Belling hob was BICBW.

Reply to
The Other John

I believe a company called Crosslee PLC produce tumble driers under the White Knight brand near Halifax.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Reply to
Andy Burns

And don't forget the cutting edge Dolly tubs and Washboards available in Stoke On Trent.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

The only machine in the Hotpoint range that's made in the UK is their tumble driers. Ours arrived Thursday of last week, from one of Amazon's traders via DPD.

A few minutes into it's first drying cycle, it was clear that the cylinder wasn't rotating. I informed Hotpoint and an engineer duly arrived. "Most odd" said the engineer, "The belt has broken, doesn't happen often, I'll have to order one from Bristol, where they're made".

So there's a new appointment for Thursday. You'd think he would carry a spare belt to cover all tumble drier models? Shudder to think of the cost of

2 visits, plus 2 lots of petrol. My advice : buy foreign, unless you like music hall farces :-
Bertie Doe

Why carry a part if it never breaks?

Reply to
dennis

Good luck. I wanted to 'Buy British' when I bought my Hotpoint dual-fuel cooker. When it arrived, I found that it had been manufactured in Poland (as was its replacement).

Reply to
S Viemeister

Andy Burns

I so wanted to 'Avoid Spaghetti' when I chose the last one, and so instantly dismissed brands such as Candy, Indesit, Hotpoint, Smeg etc....

So bought John Lewis own brand, knowing that it's a badge on the German AEG / Electrolux heritage.

Checked the label the other day. Yup, I failed. Made in Italy.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Merloni group own *lots* of white goods brands!

Reply to
John Rumm

What's wrong with the woman?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Not that I know of, those which claim assembled in the UK are just that, made from bits made elsewhere a bit like kits. I guess there could be some smaller brands that do this, but none of the main ones seem to be able to compete using British labour costs. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

He will then find there is a defect in the bearing or pullwey and need a spare. We used to make TVs in this country back in the early 70s, but they needed a live in engineer for the first couple of months.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There's also a hot and cold fill washing machine made up north somewhere, the name escapes me.

Reply to
Capitol

We've had good experiences with White Knight.

Reply to
Capitol

That's because a lot of the market was rental and you needed to prove to the customer that it was cheaper than buying the product. Redifusion used to recall their sets after about 5 years and refurbish them to get another 5 years life cheaply. The ideal fault free life was 12 months IIRC! The Japanese buggered up the market by making reliable sets!

Reply to
Capitol

Probably assembled in Bristol from a set of parts shipped in from China.

Its probably much like the UK car industry where 80% of the parts for a "UK made car" come from factories abroad.

Reply to
alan_m

10 year warranty. Is that impressive or is there a catch (other than the one wash a day)?
Reply to
ARW

Like the factory at Hirwaun in south Wales, jointly owned by GEC and a Japanese company. The product was "badge engineered", both makes coming off the same production line. Nobody wanted to buy the "unreliable" British make, but the Japanese one sold so well that the Japanese took over the whole production line.

Reply to
charles