Rejuvenating hedge trimmer blades

Hi All,

Following on from my other thread on getting it started, now it is running, I am turning my attention to the blades themselves. The Ryobi I have is a multi purpose thing where you add attachments (part of their "Expand it" range) to the main shaft (e.g hedge trimmer, strimmer, lawn edger etc.). The hedge trimmer is like this one

This hasn't been used in a good few years so was wondering how best to rejuvenate it and what precautions I should do before using it for the first time? Assume I should oil the blades but what sort of oil / grease them? If so what with? I have bearing grease for the car, 2 stroke oil (assume that's no good although I have lots!), some 3 in one oil and should have some engine oil around somewhere. Any good?

Thanks all

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

I'd go for 3 in 1 because it is good for rust, I find a spray easier. Even WD40 should work. If it is rusty it would do no harm to soak it in almost any oil, diluted perhaps with diesel or paraffin to make it thinner. Grease is going to be more messy.

DON'T try spraying chain saw oil on it. That will glue the blades together.

Reply to
newshound

we would routinely dribble an oil can cap full of chain oil at the beginning of the day, what I wouldn't advise is using OSR or other vegetable oil prior to long term (winter) storage, this can dry (oxidise) to a mess that is difficult to remove.

In practice any light oil will do but restrict the grease to the gearbox.

Reply to
AJH

When I foolishly sprayed chain oil on mine (thinking the anti-fling properties a good thing) I didn't have to wait for it to oxidise, they were glued together the same day (because of the relatively large area of contact between the blades).

Reply to
newshound

I would take it apart and clean up the rubbing surfaces and cutting edges with a flat oilstone - and then spray sone light oil on it before re-assembly.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Does it not have some kind of receptacle for the oil that oils them a little each time you use it? I'm sure my mates did cos it leaked out all over my newly painted bench then he layed it down!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The last Ryobi strimmer I had leaked petrol out of the filler cap which had a hole to vent the tank. It was an American made Ryobi and a piece of s**te, Bit the bullet and went for Stihl. Foolishly I bought the biggest hedge trimmer they make and the older I get the heavier it gets.

Reply to
fred

I always use Hypoid gear oil, because of the additives that make it more able to withstand the wiping friction of trimmer blades.

Reply to
Stephen Licence