Recycling - how do others cope?

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Well I might resent filing up large parts of my garden with two wheelie bins (esp. as the black bin never gets anywhere near full unless I use to to get rind of stuff I might otherwise take to the 'tip')

I was thinking more of finding space for various boxes/bins/bags etc. for pre-sorting the recyclables

Reply to
chris French

Large?

But, Chris, we don't have that problem. If we did I'm sure I'd find a way round it - and so would you.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Where I am at present glass beer bottles have a deposit, but also plastic cola/lemonde bottles as well, (e.g., the 2 litre sort) so there is no need to change the packaging at all, merely! impose a charge and set up the recovery infrastructure. Here the supermarkets typically have a machine where you feed the bottles, plastic or glass, through a hole where they are electronically inspected, and a reciept issued that is honoured at the checkout till. These machines also have a small conveyor that will take a beercrate and the bottles, inspect them, and put the refund on the reciept. So crates, plastic and glass deposit bottles can all be automatically accepted. Somewhere in the back of the store these are kept for collection.

People here also separate the non deposit glass and paper and put them in at collection points. We have biological collection - green bin - and other - grey bin collection alternate weeks, and blue (paper) once a month. However to have alternate week collection without the bins would be rather nasty, the biological kitchen refuse plus grass cuttings etc get a bit off in the summer.

We also have a special smart ID card to use the local waste site, I am allowed 200Kg a week there. (you are automatically weighed in and out) This has been brought in because people from other areas were visiting the local site to avoid paying in their districts and could use the old dump for free. Some other local councils in the district have wheelie bins with identity chips in so they record how much you are putting into the system and charge accordingly.

Complex isn't it, with a big infrastructure. And, if you were wondering, this is Holland, only 120 miles away from the UK.

Eric.

Reply to
Eric Dockum

Not quite... all this stuff on recycling, landfill etc arises from a battery of EU directives that have come into force over the last decade. The penalty for non-compliance is, potentially, unlimited fines of the member country, so the tax burden would rise and only the EU coffers benefit...

Reply to
Tony

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Ok, a large proportion.

Yes, if I had a small house with a small kitchen, with a small garden or yard then I would probably end up throwing the waste away rather than arse about with various plastic bags.....

Reply to
chris French

Too be honest, that doesn't bother me much. The argument used to run "consumers will never sort their waste for recycling". Even if it currently all ends up in landfill, I'd rather that argument was void should a market open up in the future.

Reply to
Stephen Gower

I'm wrong, anyway. Apparently it's made into fibreglass.

Although I'm not convinced that supermarket bottle-bank cullet's much use for anything.

Reply to
Huge

And in the future somebody could dig up that nicely sorted landfill and recycle it :-)

Reply to
John Armstrong

This is off topic now, but has anyone thought of the terrible consequence for history if we recycled everything and put nothing into land fill?

There would be nothing for the future "Time Team" archaeologists of the 25th century to did up and tell us all about our lives

Reply to
mich

That would be a big relief for the archaeologists.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And once the materials become rare and costly enough, I can see that happening. Well, I can't, because I'll have been dead for a while, but you see what I mean...

Reply to
Huge

You are making a rash assumption. During the next 500 years they might dig you up and pass your DNA over to the team that did Dolly the Sheep, then it remains to be seen whether you would consider yourself dead.

Time for a joke to lighten things up:

Remember last year when they dug up James Hanratty to see whether his DNA matched that found at the murder scene in the 50's? If the DNA hadn't matched they'd have had to give the DNA to the Dolly the Sheep team so that they could have a retrial and then let him go ;)

Fortunately the DNA did match so he did it for sure.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

It happens already to some extent. Reworking of spoil heaps for a start. Then of course there are the old Victorian land fills excavated for the bottles/pots that they contain which are now quite collectable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And the viewers.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Much like mine, with paper collections. They issued us with green plastic boxes that weigh, when full of news papers, enough to make a healthy man wince at the weight. When the paper gets wet, when waiting for collection, what are the 'bin' men going to have to lift. I can see some of the heavier boxes getting left at the edge of the house holder's property as being too heavy for them to carry.

The whole scheme would have been better thought out by putting paper re-cycling bins on some street corners, rather that issuing each house with a small box to be put out for collection.

My local council started paper collections last year, but I have not seen any collections for well over 6 months now.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

OK then.

I live in a small house with no front access to the back of it, unless I go through the house (I am second in a block of 6 terraced/town? houses). This means that all these boxes/bins must live at the front of my house. Incidentally, they will ferment quite well, as the sun is out there till well past mid day. However, I opted to have bin bags that I can store out of the heat..

When the house was built, (25 years ago) I had a cupboard at the front of the house that housed one of the 'old fashioned' bins. Now it houses the bin bags that I fill with my rubbish.

If I had one box for tin cans, another for aluminium cans, another for plastic bottles/containers, now another for cardboard, then another for paper, another for green waste, followed by another for un-recyclable waste. That amounts to at least 7 waste bins.

If all these bins were at the front of my house, where would I park my car on my property?

I have enough space to park 2, sometimes 3 cars side by side in front of my house, but should I start to charge my local council for rental space of their boxes and bins?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

supermarket.

including

I just put everything in the bin, as normal. If your local council are like mine and don't care about how your house suffers between collections, then why should you.

Sling them in the bin and forget the councils re-cycling targets that were set by this government.

Dump them in the general waste from the house, problem solved.

I might add, I am a bit of a greeny at heart, but the way government/councils have put together their recycling procedures, I am deeply disappointed in the way they are going about their practices of recycling waste.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I completely agree. I went to the trouble of putting two waste bins in every room that HAS a bin; one for recycleble stuff (paper etc.) and one for everything else. This worked well.

Then the council changed the system, and made it impractcla. Now it all goes in one bin.

Reply to
Bob Eager

and on a slightly different tack...........opening a door twice on a very cold winter's day to deposit a tin can in the recycling box is going to lose a lot of heat from the house.......Is that energy effecient?

Mick

Reply to
Mick