Recycled plastic boarding

As a good husband (!), I am always willing to help my wife in her interests !! Her latest one she has spotted is a bird feeder made with recycled plas tic boards. Maybe it will last longer but at near enough £30 retail I ca n see why I might be dragged in to making one.

I am fortunate in having a builder's shed nearby and he is quite happy for me to raid his skip. I collected some bits of floor laminate the other day - I've used it before for odds and ends - and wondered if that is tolerant of being outdoors?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

No. :-)

Reply to
David Lang

Some of it is, but how would one figure out which?

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Rob Graham presented the following explanation :

Some grades are more tolerant of water than others, but generally the answer is no.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well I'd not be so sure. I've seen it used inside the front end of greenhouses at garden centres, though it does make one feel one should be wearing tap shoes. Of course frost wise is another thing. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Brian-Gaff brought next idea :

By making a bird table out of it of course lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What you need is a signmaker's skip. Offcuts of correx and foamex boards.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

ts!! Her latest one she has spotted is a bird feeder made with recycled pl astic boards. Maybe it will last longer but at near enough £30 retail I can see why I might be dragged in to making one.

r me to raid his skip. I collected some bits of floor laminate the other d ay - I've used it before for odds and ends - and wondered if that is tolera nt of being outdoors?

No, cheap thin laminate is basically pressed wood waste.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The backing is often MDF - but usually moisture resistant. It may swell a little outside, but it will hold up better than you might expect judging by the bit I left outside in the rain for a couple of years!

Reply to
John Rumm