Recycled (Plastic) Lumber source / machineability

I want to build some birdhouses and other assorted garden items. I was thinking about using recycled (plasic) lumber.

I can only find one type or source of this product and it is focused on the decking industry. Anyone know of any online retail sources?

Can I power plane it to thickness. Can I router the edges?

Thanks

Reply to
James

Most lumberyards seem to carry it. I used it for some of the "trex" brand stuff for edging around planting areas and had some scrap left over. I used it to make a push stick. Seems to cut and machine pretty well on a table saw, but I didn't try a router or planer. Why not use real wood?

Reply to
JackD

I have used the grey stuff Home Depot sells for a skirt on a boat console and a few other things around the house. It is really pretty soft as wood goes and works very well with woodworking tools go. It may eat up steel edges (I don't use them) but with carbide tipped cutters it seems to work real well.

Reply to
Gfretwell

It machines well, but I had the dickens of a time getting any glue to stick to it.

Reply to
Herman Family

I talked to the manufacturer. It turns out that epoxy is the best glue. If you use the kind that is fairly liquid as opposed to paste it will rip up the plastic before it breaks.

Reply to
Gfretwell

OK in a reprise of the great gorilla glue challenge I just glued up 2 pieces of the HD recycled material with gorilla glue. Applied glue to one surface, spritzed the other side with water and wiped off excess, clamed it up. See y'all tomorrow night ;-)

I have all these chunks of stuff laying around from a month of building, why not have some science?

Reply to
Gfretwell

Check out .

I just returned from Yosemite National Park where they had some picnic tables made by this company. The website shows specs for dimensional 'lumber' and indicates that it is workable with carbide tipped tools. It looks like, though, that you would have to be building a _lot_ of birdhouses to justify an order (I just looked at the shipping charges...).

FYI, the tables I saw appeared to be bolted/screwed together, no glue, as far as I could tell.

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff