Wickes "expertise"

Following recent windy weather, I needed some timber for fence repair. With no skips around offering any suitable material (often a good source ) I had to bite the bullet and visit the Wickes around the corner for some sawn treated timber. From the looks of it they'd probably be better off making their own out of recycled and compressed cornflakes packets.

Basically it has every fault possible in terms of wany edges with lumps missing, dead knots as big as a fist and every type of distortion possible in terms of twists and warps etc. Most of it would make good text book illustrations of these faults but even then the authors might be accused of using Photoshop.

Basically this will require a return visit with the Stanley knife to open as many bundles as are necessary to get the four decent pieces which are required

Anyway out of interest I checked out their website for any reviews.

Here's one -

Item

" Type: Sawn Treated Softwood Length: 2.4m Width: 100mm (4'') Thickness: 19mm (3/4'') Pack Size: Single Colour: Green coloured treated wood Certification: FSC-certified "

review

"Terrible quality By Scotjim from Suffolk Expertise: Expert DIYer

23 August 2012 "I had three lengths delivered, and all three were crooked and unusable, like dogs hind legs."

and here's what the "experts at Wickes" have got to say by way of reply

" By Wickes Timber Team, 31 August 2012 Timber is a natural product and as such is prone to distortion. This particular product is supplied as a ** green timber ** with a high moisture content. Warm conditions can cause the product to dry out quickly and distort. In an attempt to keep this to a minimum, Wickes stores are visited by our timber supplier regularly who remove such pieces from sale."

Which is of course absolute bollocks. "Green timber" is indeed undried timber, but the "green" in this timber is the colour of the preservative and has nothing to do with the drying. If the timber wasn't allowed to dry sufficiently then it wouldn't have been possible to then impregnate it with preservative.

A point which has clearly never occured to the Wickes Dopey Timber Team.

The claim that the stores are visited by timber suppliers is again a downright lie as the majority of faults in the bundles of this timber - for anyone unwise enough to buy it in this form which the majority of customers presumably do - are only apparent once the bundle is opened. If all the bundles were opened and all the faulty timber removed by the supplier, Wickes sawn timber racks would be 80% empty. Presumably the rest would then go straight to chipboard or MDF.

michael adams

michael adams

+1 IMHO wickes timber is a distress purchase... ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

+1 all round. And that's before you go to get some of their PSE timber and find that it dimensions can vary by 10% within a single pack, so when they quote '44mm' they mean 'something between 40 and 44mm if you're lucky, but you won't notice because the warps, twists and knots will distract you from that'. I don't understand why that's the case, when my local timber yard (no prizes for guessing who gets my business if I can get there during the day) will supply any thickness to the mm. Oh, and a much cheaper. To be fair to Wickes (not quite sure why), buying it freshly milled and fixing right away doesn't gvie the timber from the yard any time to warp, wehreas storing it for extended periods could easily give problems.
Reply to
GMM

[snip]

IMO, Wickes have completely lost the focus that made them more like a BM years ago. They now seem to be doing their best to ape Homebase & B&Q - so quality's down and prices up, up, up.

Went into Wickes looking at paint the other day - absolutely loony tunes prices. The Range next door had as good a selection[1] and way better prices.

[1] If not better as they had Johnstone stuff in which I've always rated.
Reply to
Scott M

The reason it warps is simply because its poor quality timber to start with. Trees grow as a series of tubes - or rings. When timber is cut the rings will try and straighten out. Don't ask me why. If the rings are parallel with the short edges of the board then distortion is less of a problem and can be planed out. Cutting across the centre of the log produces such boards which will be set aside and sold at a premium. If the rings are parallelish with the wide edge then the timber will cup as the rings straighten out. If the log didn't grow straight then in addition the timber will twist and or bow when machined. In older trees with thicker trunks the rings have a larger radius and cause less distortion when straightening out. In younger trees with a thinner trunk the radius of the rings is tighter and the distortion is greater. In theory with repeated machining it should be possible to produce an undistorted board from any timber - provided you're prepared to start with it 12 ins thick and end up with it two inches thick.

The rubbish sold by Wickes which includes waney edge - which is timber next to and including the bark simply isn't fit for purpose. The trees being cut are too young, straight trees aren't being selected, and the poor quality material which should be weeded out and sent straight to the chipboard manufacturers is instead going through the saw and being sold in their sheds.

And yet. If you read the second of the quoted reviews the customer was quite happy to give them 3 out of 5 both for quality and Value for money on the basis that only one of the five boards supplied was rubbish and he was in any case able to hide it behind a bush !

"4 out of 5 boards were fine. The fifth board was" very good in parts" but part of the board width was missing because the original timber had a kink in it and the quality control failed to spot the duff board. There was no time to replace it because the boards were needed the day of delivery but I was able to bury the bad bit out of sight under a bush

michael adams

michael adams

Indeed.

However distressed and desperate you are before going in there, you can only get even more distressed looking at the state of it from a distance, and then borderline suicidal when you look at the actual prices on the tickets.

michael adams

michael adams

So you need to go further up the command chain to a person who can sort it I guess. Nobody obviously wants to be the one to create a big wave. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Never do this. Go to a timber merchant. Preferably a backstreet one used by the trade. Take cash and a large van.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

With customers such as the gentleman who penned the second review and gave them 3 out of 5 both for quality and Value for money, I very much doubt they care very much

< quote >

"4 out of 5 boards were fine. The fifth board was" very good in parts" but part of the board width was missing because the original timber had a kink in it and the quality control failed to spot the duff board. There was no time to replace it because the boards were needed the day of delivery but I was able to bury the bad bit out of sight under a bush

< /quote >

It might be intersting to know where all this dog leg shaped timber ends up as well, but then again I very much doubt any of the senior management at Wickes are losing any sleep over it. So I'll give chaining myself to the railings of Wickes HQ over this one a miss myself, as well. Similarly trying to explain common faults in timber to Trading Standards or anyone similar.

michael adams

michael adams

On 17 Feb 2014, "michael adams" grunted:

Not disputing your observations, but I find one reason why the sheds have crap timber is that customers naturally cherry-pick the good stuff from the racks and leave the crap behind; but the staff don't get rid of this stuff so it just keeps building up until it accounts for the entire stock, at which point presumably someobody finally has a clear-out.

Seen it many times!

Reply to
Lobster

+1

But I get the same discount whether using cash, cheque or card - and occasionally get the odd length or two thrown in for good measure. Old age, and long time trading with him has its benefits!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I agree that you can get bad bits in the packs, particularly the sawn and treated ones, but I don't find the latter bad value and they don't rot. But I don't have a convenient local timber yard (I do use these for large purchases).

Reply to
newshound

For the amount I need, I could carry them home in one hand. It's only that the neighbours will see it, that stops me using bits of old pallets. Which being made fit for purpose are usually constructed from better quality timber

michael adams

michael adams

Good point. Thinking about it it stands to reason that any loose stuff will presumably be what customers have left behind having cherry picked the best ones out of any pre - packs they've opened. Maybe I'll have better luck when going back tomorrow armed both with the trusty Stanley knife and maybe a printout quoting the "timber team's" commitment to quality.

michael adams

michael adams

Compared to B&Q, Wickes is better & cheaper ;-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

depends on what you're buying

Reply to
charles

How odd.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Compared to B&Q most places are cheaper.

michael adams

michael adams

I wonder if that's why the packs are a lot cheaper than the singles: There's always a dodgy length or two in the middle of a pack.....

Reply to
GMM

/ I wonder if that's why the packs are a lot cheaper than the singles: There's always a dodgy length or two in the middle of a pack...../q

Nah IME if you manage to find enough reasonable singles to be the equivalent if a "pack" you pay the pack price. That could take you an hour tho....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K