Recommendations for indoor paint?

The woodwork inside our house needs repainting -- we've been in the house over 30 years, and I've only spasmodically repainted the woodwork in bits and pieces. Some of it has never been painted since before we moved in!

All of it (ALL of it!) is gloss white. Having tried acrylic a few years ago, and also "one-coat", I'm still most comfortable with undercoat and top coat ( Dulux Brilliant White).

Are there new products that I ought to try? The ranges in paint these days are staggering.

Also, I might want to change one or two rooms to be a little more colourful -- pastels, in what we used to call "silk" finish.

I thought I would ask here first because then I'd know where to make a beeline, when I go a-browsing down the aisles.

Thanks for any advice! John

Reply to
Another John

yes

definitely not. Water based gloss is junk compared to alkyd.

if you mean the woodwork, the result of anything but gloss is it gets dirtier faster & is hard to clean up. That's why people use gloss.

Dulux & Leyland are excellent quality, and somewhat different. Some folk also like Crown.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well I just rubbed downm hard with IIRC about 250 grit anmd applied farrow and ball water based whatever.

Takes a long time to set really hard but it grips and the finish is good esp. if rolled on.

I suspect its not the only decent paint around as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I reckon the modern water based gloss is pretty good. This is for a house originally full of children and now slightly less full of dogs. So maybe my standards are a bit lower.

I'd pick on colour and perhaps price first (but forget budget stuff) and then on supplier. I agree that Dulux and Crown are good, I've also been happy with Leyland and Johnstones. Wickes and Screwfix trade stuff is OK for walls and ceilings too.

Reply to
newshound

I haven't done any of my own since you could still buy the high volatiles (even if it meant asking the guy to climb up the shelving and reach for the last few tins at the back).

I did help out a friend who had bought Dulux Once one-coat gloss. It was brilliant white when we put it on, but had gone yellow a few weeks later.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Another thumbs-down for water-based "gloss". We did the woodwork in one room with it a couple of years ago, after painting other rooms with traditional gloss paint. The water-based paint retains brush marks, isn't particularly glossy and is a dirt magnet.

Reply to
Graham Nye

I'd be wary of doing that. Too many paints now are not worth having for free. And if you buy Dulux, get it from dulux, not a diy shed. Leyland is much better value though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd not say that the less than gloss are all a problem dirt wise, it really depends how hard the surface is I used to find. I'd agree about acrylic. If there is any slight chance that its going to get a lot of friction or damp then don't use it. I'm still suffering from the problems painting a banister with it gave me over 15 years ago. The last time the hallway got painted it was just sanded a bit and had one of the well known one coat glosses applied. All was well for some months then the gloss started to bubble and fall off as damp had got under it and made the acrylic soft.

Bah Humbug. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1 for Johnstones paints and regularly discounted in places like In-Excess
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Back in te day nearly 20 years ago when I painted this house they had a range of colours no one else had and extremely matt emulsions. Plus a LOT of pigment in the paint so it covered in less coats. It is also pretty easy for an amateur to apply.

I went back to them because I was patching the old paint on places. So I neede te sdame colurs.

The emulsion is a little less matt and the eggshell is now water based. Not as good as te oil, but not bad.

Of course if you want vile modern 'pastel' colours you won't get them in F & B.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fellow & Balls?

they've been cashing in on "perceived quality" for decades haven't they? Iow bloody expensive & absolutely average. All greenwash & yummy mummy...

Only time I see them mentioned is when people have ordered the same colours at a mixing counter.

So far unmentioned I like johnstones paint

Reply to
Jim K..

It's paint!

& 20 years on did they match?