OT Horrible Nuts

I absolutely love chomping on nuts. Many years ago, you could buy them and they would be fresh, in their shells and fit to eat, but over the last few years, no matter what the source, in their shells or ready to eat - many would be stale or rotten, no matter how much I paid for them or where bought.

A bag of chestnuts for roasting, from Lidl were way past their best. A tub of ready shelled mixed nuts and fruit, from a local top class/ top price green grocers were dried out and past their best. I usually chuck more out, than I eat.

Today I was in Lidl and thought to try some of their Alesto mixed nuts, not expecting they would be much better. Nice selection and all of them absolutely nice and fresh - lovely. I went back in for another bag, despite the long checkout queue.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I don't wish to hijack your thread, but has anyone noticed that Big D dry roast nuts are *extremely* salty, despite claiming to contain only a small amount of salt? I'm wondering whether it's legal to claim a bag contains 1 gram of salt if 25g of the stuff has been absorbed into the nuts separately?

Reply to
Chris

That's is what I dislike about Lidl, and no self checkouts if you just have a few items.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I have noticed exactly the same thing. I wonder if there is any other country iin the world where people would put up with this? Or maybe most people just buy them for the ambience and don't eat them.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

newer ones have them, but they make very annoying bong sounds

Reply to
Andy Burns

When (Planters?) first introduced dry roasted peanuts to the mass UK market (or at least were the first to extensively advertise them) they seem to have a nice spicy tasting coating but soon afterwards as they gained popularity the spice turned to near 100% salt.

For me the same has happened to pork scratchings and the secret ingredient in that well known brand of fried chicken.

Reply to
alan_m

I'm currently staying with friends and have been over the Christmas period. The bags of nuts in shells will soon be thrown out uneaten. It's almost like an unwritten rule that nuts must be purchased in the festive season irrespective of the need. I also suspect my mother will have a couple of bags of nuts in shells that will have been purchased prior to Christmas and left in a cupboard just in case anyone will want one.

Reply to
alan_m

I was thinking of Nuts that fit on screws in this group actually. Did the packages of the duff ones say 'May contain nuts'? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe they are experimenting with a salt substitute? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We used to do that with dates when I was little. Box of dates, everyone would eat just the one, leaving the mostly full box to be thrown out a few weeks later. happened every Christmas.

Reply to
Tim Streater

SWMBO bought a bag of mixed nuts/ I had to put the almonds in a vice to crack open the shells! Being a keen DIYer, I had a portable vice I could bring into the kitchen/

Reply to
charles

Andy Burns explained :

Our local is only two months after first opening. Lots of check outs, but 3/4 to 2/3rds are closed. I wonder if they are short of staff?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Presume they open/close extra lanes on demand, e.g. dragging someone away from shelf-filling? Aldi sometimes open an extra till for literally a couple of minutes to clear a backlog ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It happens that Tim Streater formulated :

My dad would buy himself those as a treat, packed in a long, oval, cardboard pack, with a colourful cardboard lid. Local greengrocer has had them on sale, in a similar cardboard pack at two for a £1, with a little plastic stick to eat them, but fitted with a clear lid. I remember them being horribly sweet and sticky.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Chritsmas food is an orgy of cornucopiansm. Everything anyone could possibly want has to be there in quantity.

I am struggling to finish the second giant game terrine I cooked.

A few items went mouldy unfinished sadly...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Andy Burns pretended :

Maybe not as effectively as Aldi. The local Aldi just had a refurb including a Tannoy system which announces tills opening and closing, quite noisily. The Lidl seems much quieter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think this is playing on local psychology. We probably find a bit of inconvenience reassures us we are getting a bargain. It also saves them money, of course, but I do wonder if the German shoppers would put up with this?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Much nicer dates are available. I think we have these here foreigners to thank for this.

Try Medjool dates, packed loosely rather than squashed together.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Nothing more than usual wasted here. We didn't buy a turkey, just a turkey crown. One year, an employer gave me and everyone (when I was single), a massive turkey. I really wasn't to to any form of cooking back then, so I tried to give it my mother. It was far too big for her oven and by then just too late to pass on to an institution for their Christmas.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's what Aldi do. On any given day, there is a priority list of staff who can be dragged away at short notice from whatever they are doing (frozen food shelf fillers are exempt).

I never seem to waut long at all. Thed only downside is when they announce a till is opening, I get there first...and then find my son will be manning it. He is not allowed to serve family.

Reply to
Bob Eager