Recommend a toilet

I need to buy a new toilet, so is there a brand which people would recommend please? I’m after something close-coupled and traditional looking. I really want something robust, reliable, straightforward to install, with a decent seat that doesn’t wobble around. If something does go wrong I’d like parts to be readily available. Thanks all.

Reply to
tonkski

You cant beat a good shanks high level cistern with a three gallon flush ..... stuff the drought....no drought in the near of Scotland...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Avoid the RAK ones with a near flat platform at the front.

Avoid toilets with a square shaped seat as there seem to be very few third party manufacturers for replacements.

Where I've been staying were two toilets. I don't know which brand but neither flushed anything away from the front and very little from anywhere in the top half of the bowl. I'm also considering a replacement toilet but have no idea how to determine the flushing efficiency of the various models. Are toilets rimmed water distribution better than those that are rimless?

Reply to
alan_m

Yes these where the cistern is right on top of the bowl never seem to flush properly. Even about a foot more is good, and an old fashioned flush always is easier to fix than these half flush or whatever they are called these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In 2020, after much research and consultation with SWMBO, we bought a Tavistock Vitoria pan and cistern. It took a while for the appropriate tuit to arrive but we've been very pleased with them and would buy more if other loos need work. They do what's required and deal well with the potential cling-ons. The cheapest place I found was

but this was a couple of years ago.

Reply to
nothanks

close coupled was a joke as you say even low level was dodgy....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

After a long period of frustation wih a toilet that wouldn't flush/empty the bowl properly, (I tried everything, changed the innerds, changed the short down pipe, descaled the rim, we dont sctually have problems withe lime scale) we bought Burlington close coupled wc (

couldn't be happier. I'm still astonished at how it functions with what appears to be a small volume of water.

I think the problem withe the old toilet may have stemmed from a small air leak in the flexible connector to the outlet. Perhaps it was interfering with the syphoning.

Reply to
fred

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll add "effective flush" to my requirements.

Reply to
tonkski

our house has Trent sanitary ware...what happened to them?....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Much of it comes down to the design of the pan - the shape and volume of the water path. Done right they work really well with a close coupled cistern. Done wrong (or using an old design designed for high water volume flushing) they won't work well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Except this toilet worked for over 20 years

Reply to
fred

Never (10 years) had a problem with:

I think it's a case of 'YMMV' with toilets though . . .

Reply to
RJH

Councils like them. Not easy for shit tenants to pull them off the wall.

Reply to
Andrew

Get a German one with a platform, so you check for worms after a dump :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Your motions might vanish?

;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My point still stands as a general observation. It may not apply in your case, however you did not mention it worked at one time :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

And will leave skid marks when you flush, worse if your poo is sticky :)

Reply to
alan_m

A jobbie well done :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

On the recommendation of the guy who refitted my en suite approx 20 years ago I fitted Roca Lauras in my bathroom and cloackroom, and was able to get a replacement cistern when the one in the cloakroom spontaeously cracked a few years ago. The bathroom fitter liked them because they were easy to fit and never gave him any problems. He had fitted loads.

Peter Johnson