reclaimed parquet flooring - help!

hi allyou've prob been asked this several times before but after lookin

on posts left right and center on diy not, I'm now totally confused s thought I would drop an email to you...

I've got some reclaimed parquet flooring to be laid on a self levelle compounded concrete floor...

the parquet we have has got bitumen on and from the posts I've seen i looks like the majority of this has got to come off... (fun job fro the sounds of it!)

anyhow this is the bit that?s baffling me, is what to stick it dow with? the f21 styccobond stuff, techy dept there seems to be saying al the old bitumen has got to come off it to bare wood - which I know i not going to happen! also having phoned around lots of local peopl this seems to be hard to get hold of. also being a 1960's house no totally convinced there is a dpm (2 other ground floor rooms hav parquet flooring, and this room being the old kitchen presumably ha the old vinyl tiles, which I believe had the bitumen down so assumin that is the dpm. I guess another question will be does the f21 act as dpm?) on the synaprufe front, their techy team say that this isn suitable for parquet flloring and is now amending their web site...

I'm also wantig the floor to be laid in herringbone style so matche the other rooms, where do you start laying it? also is the 2 row fla edge essential as my other half is not keen on this..

and then to the finishing.. is it ok to use some sort of varnish/seale once sanded, so that I don?t need to wax floor every 6 months? does thi work? looking for a least maintenance floor, which will still look nic ie a compromise...

any help or advice you can give would be much appreaciated.... thank in adavance for any help

-- ceg

Reply to
ceg

why?

Bitumen is the only thing that'll stick to bitumen, so I guess thats what you'll be using.

so why use it rather than use bitumen?

lay it however you want.

yes, but be sure to avoid anything tinted. At least if you want it to look decent in another year.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

levelled

assuming

varnish/sealer

thanks

When I laid a 12' x 12' reclaimed parquet floor in my workshop I left the old bitumen on, and just dipped the underside of the blocks in the melted bitumen bath (large pan on electric ring) then sid them into place. It's still holding 15 years later so can't be all wrong!

(I know - luxury for a workshop, but the price was right and it saves chipping tools when you drop them )

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You flash bugger !

I've got a bit of old carpet over a concrete floor in mine !

Cheers.

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

We also have a parquet floor from the early 70's. Had to take some of it up to get at the heating pipes.

Re-laying it was quite easy once I had a flat surface. I brushed on PVA. Could have used bitumen but the PVA was fine.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew