Re: Shower electrics

Hello,

> > We need to replace our electric shower. It's currently 9kW and we were > thinking of upgrading to 10.8kW. Its connected directly to the main > fuse box on a 30amp trip. A quick calculation shows that 30amp isnt > really enough for the current shower: 9000/240 = 37.5 amp. I'm quite > surprised it has never tripped. > > So it looks like we would need to upgrade to a 40amp or 45amp fuse. > However, our main circuit board is only rated at 60 amp total. We have > a gas cooker so i doubt we'd ever draw 60amp, but I guess we would > need to upgrade to a 100amp to be on the safe side? > > I also need to check the rating of the cable. Is there anywhere which > tells me roughly how the external dimensions of cable correspond to > the core sizes? > > Thanks. > > David.

The first thing I'm going to ask is, "Is the cable large enough to take this size of heating element ?"

You will have to reinforce the cable to at least a 10mm Two Core and Earth if it already isn't.

The reason the fuse hasn't blown is more than likely to be that it is a rewireable fuse with the wrong size fuse wire in it. An MCB (miniature circuit breaker) would not have been able to take the current load and would have tripped off at the first switch on of the shower.

You consumer unit (fuse box) is rated at 60 amps on the main switch and BUS bar and you should probably never reach this load even with everything in the house switched on.