Leisure Rangemaster 110 problem

Our 18 month old rangemaster hs developed a problem.

The fan oven doesnt heat up. The fan comes on but there is no heat. I guess I should suspect the thermostat?

Rest of cooker works fine including the other oven.

Anyone know where the thermostat is - do I get at it from the back?

Anything else I should look for?

Thanks in advance

Steve H

Reply to
Steve Harper

I'd think about the switch (knob on the front) or the heating element before I tampered with thermostats. Heating elements and switches are cheap enough to replace.

BigWallop

This only relates to goods which were delivered and found to be not fit for the purpose they were bought. Steve's cooker has been working for the past eighteen months and any unfit goods act is now null and void. This repair will go down as normal wear and tear.

Reply to
BigWallop

(IANAL) You can sue for fitness for purpose or for lack of satisfactory quality (previously merchantable quality). I'm sure there would be no problems whatsover suing in this case. The Rangemaster brand is considered to be a premium product. You could probably claim for this sort of thing from this sort of manufacturer for about five years after delivery. 18 months is a non-issue and the court wouldn't even blink before awarding compensation. If in doubt, ask the retailer whether they would expect the heating element (or thermostat) to blow after 18 months. If they say no, then they have shot themselves in the foot.

Obviously, it is the retailer that is responsible, not the manufacturer with whom you have no recourse (unless bought direct).

When considering the length of time to bring the case, the court will consider the perceived brand quality and price point. Rangemaster will be right near the top of this. If you are claiming for some dodgy unbranded goods bought from a market trader, the court will view things differently and you will have more trouble gaining satisfaction.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

documents full of words like "reasonable" and "expects".

A manufacturer's view might well be that a thermostat is an item that can and will fail unpredictably, by its very nature. How long it should reasonably last, and especially if it is excessively expensive or needlessly difficult to replace, then becomes a matter for debate.

Imo, 18 months is too short a time for an expensive cooker, and I would beat on the vendor for some compensation. Is this the sort of area Trading Standards can advise on, or is it one for the CAB ?

Reply to
John Laird

Not Trading Standards as they do not investigate/deal with individual cases.

David Hearn

What do they do, exactly ? I ask this from no personal experience, just the occasional viewing of those disaster shows where some cowboy builder took £10K off some poor old dearie for one broken tile, and when the program makers contacted TS (having been tipped off about such scams over a long time by a lot of locals), they got the usual "oh we are aware of complaints" response. "At present, we have the director's balls nailed to a wall and are removing digits one at a time with rusty pliers" is the sort of answer you really want. Or its legal equivalent.

Reply to
John Laird