electric fan oven keeps cutting out and resetting?

Our De Dietrich elec double oven has developed an annoying habit of cutting out (totally including display, all fans etc) when run at "normal" cooking temperatures (~220 deg c). After a few minutes (presumably cooling) the oven comes back to life - though behaving as if there had been a power cut (clock at 0:00, flashing display etc). It can then be turned back on and the problem will repeat.

=46rom a googling it seems it might be some sort of "overheat thermostat" cost =A325 ish -

can anyone offer guidance please? e.gs:- The oven is a double one - should I expect to find more than one of these thermostats? How will I know which one is the culprit if there are more than one? Can I test the present thermostat(s) somehow? Can anyone recommend a supplier?

Many thanks in advance for any help Jim

Reply to
jim

I wonder if it could be some problem with an RCD, if any, at the consumer unit. Perhaps overheating and breaking contact temporarily.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

yes that was my very first thought, but the cooker wall switch neon (and socket next to it) have power all through the episodes i.e.

*nothing* touched on distbn board at all...
Reply to
jim

Don't know that model, but does it have a case cooling fan? Maybe that has failed and the case is overheating?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

it's a FM4942 built-under double oven model - and yes it has a cooling fan which appears to be OK and blows warm air out from just below the control panel (except when it cuts out- when everything on it stops)

Reply to
jim

I was about to suggest this - My Tricity oven has a (small) cooling fan=20 near the switches that blows cold air from a duct from a low-level vent=20 over the electronics. It is prone to sucking dust, etc. that, over time,=20 reduces its efficiency. Such fans don't necessarily have to fail=20 completely, since the layer of dust over the blades reduces their=20 efficiency, just like in a computer... On mine, the fan only comes on=20 when things are getting a little hot. If, then, it isn't providing=20 enough cooling air, an electronic cut-out switches everything off. The=20 fix is to stip-down and clean the accumulated muck.

If the switches are above the oven door, also check the door seal is=20 still working, reducing the heat flow up to the switches. Mine is more=20 prone to cut-out if I use the top oven, which has a drop-down door,=20 which doesn't seal as well along the top.=20

If there isn't a fan cooling the electronics, consider installing one (a=20

240v one).

Replacing the overheat thermostat won't necessarily fix the problem,=20 since it is probably the operation of this that is cutting off the=20 supply, suggesting it is doing its job. It could be operating at a too=20 low temperature, but that isn't a usual failure mode.

--=20 John W To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice

Reply to
John D.W.

finally got around to sorting this one out (pesky newborn kids taking all my tinkering time etc)

I checked the fan and although not pristine it wasn't caked in grease/ dust so I didn't clean it - however what seems to have happened is that when I replaced the fan element the last time (with a genuine part) I distyrned the mineral quilt type insulation around the overheat thermostat on the lower oven. In effect I had put a duvet over the thermostat which seems to explain why it was tripping out at just 215 deg C. Just had the oven upto 275 deg C (confirmed by an oven thermometer) and no problems at all.

Excellent! Sincere thanks to all who responded with tips and advice to help get me sorted.

Cheers Jim

Reply to
jim