Re: Result!

How would you know? You haven't done any form of poll. And it's not in anyway clear that "iffy products" in the context that you gave it referred to adulteration of food.

Would you care to give an example?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Err, what has that got to do with accuracy?!

Reply to
:Jerry:

"The Older Gentleman" wrote in message news:1idwdb0.dglv8me3age8N% snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk...

If tempting the 'scrag-ends' of consumer into the store is success I would hate to think what failure is!

Reply to
:Jerry:

I think so. It prospered when freezers were somthing new and unusual in the UK market and seemed to be surrounded by unnecessary hype and inflated prices from the other retailers oeprating at the time (to my mind mostly Electricity Board and Co-Op). So they got people in with cheap freezers and sold them cheap food to go into those freezers. Frozen food isn't simply confined to the odd pack of peas and fish fingers anymore and even the mainstream can undercut Iceland. Kwik Save ISTR fell apart some years ago. Certainly the only one I can remember being around these parts was next door to Wickes and the unit is still empty.

I suppose on worrying sign for the mainstream supermarkets is that Tchibo have secured a deal with Sainsbury's to position theior products in-store. However I consider Tchibo as pretty much in the Aldi/Lidl pile it high sell it cheap mould. Certainly in Wiesbaden I got my coffee at Karsch-Haus rather than round the corner at Tchibo.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The problem with that, and why stores like Lidl will always suffer is that people simply don't want to buy the unknown, whilst stores like Lidl have problems shifting 'alien' brands (that might well be very good produce and popular in Germany or were ever) Tesco have no problem in shifting their "Value" range, people have learnt - in the main - to trust Tesco so although they might not know were the Value range is being sourced from they do trust Tesco not to buy crap. Lidl simple can't compete.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Farmers Weekly.

Reply to
:Jerry:

It's just one more thing to hold against Aldi?Lidl. I object to someone thorwing my goods at me and down the supermarket line. I know it's standard it Germany but I don't live there and when I did I still didn't like that behaviour.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh those things are even worse. "Place your item in the bagging area"

I JUST BLOODY DID YOU STUPID MACHINE!

"Remove excess item from bagging area."

NO THAT'S THE THING YOU TOLD ME PUT IN THERE JUST NOW!

Give me strength.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Depends upon the scanners that they use. There are (as you can well imagine) different types. I'm not up on the techy terms, but there are single line (as you see with most handheld scanners) scanners and (IIRC) rastering scanners (where you sometimes see a nice little laser pattern) for example.

The you've got things like the response time from when the scanner takes the data and processes it, the types of connections used between the scanner, damages to bar codes, poorly printed codes, etc, etc.

Waving the product in front of the scanner is a very small part of the whole picture.

Reply to
Cab

No, you were actually talking about back-handers and then trying to broaden your argument with a 'catch all' statement that could have meant anything.

Reply to
:Jerry:

I remember it very well - used to like the Oshie stuff, but I went RIGHT off it for years.

Reply to
Fran

No, it isn't.

They've also bought other sites which more closely match their demographics and have absorbed the 'Cool Trader' chain. They had a very good year in 2007.

The sites which were sold to M&S were where M&S made offers they couldn't refuse for stores which were in the wrong areas.

Reply to
SteveH

The Aldi I use is faster than the local Morrisons, Tesco (two), Asda and Sainsburys. And fractionally faster than Netto too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yeah, they got back their original founder, Malcolm Walker, and it's made a heck of a difference. They've a sense of humour, too :

> The sites which were sold to M&S were where M&S made offers they

Correct.

Reply to
Fran

Our Lidl is faster than Asda, Tesco and JS.

Reply to
Fran

Good enough to wipe out the history of loss since 2001? That would have to be an absolutely astonishingly good year.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Show me where I ever said the German market was the same as the UK.

Reply to
Fran

A retailing trade journal would be no less liable to misinterpretation of these reports than a newspaper. If you think you can understand the original financial - not retail! - analysts reports, then I'd be happy to cite the links.

Reply to
Fran

First time I've heard ABC1s called that.

Reply to
Fran

Date? Article? Link?

Reply to