Re: Result!

Tesco's "Value" range is exactly that - Value For Money rather than paying over the odds for fancy packaging which will go in the bin instead of recycling in too many cases.

Lidl mightl fail because they started off trying to sell the same (good quality) stuff in Britian at the same prices as they do in Germany.

The brands which make the most profit in Germany are unknown in Britain.

I was delighted when Lidl took over the shop at the end of my road which used to be a Safeway supermarket. For a short while I was able to get good quality stuff from Germany.

It's only fallen down because the Great British Public don't want "that Kraut rubbish", only the stuff they're used to - which they can get in Great British Supermarkets any day of the week.

Bah!

Reply to
Humbug

No it isn't. It's as I said it. Morrisons doesn't meet my criteria for someone with whom I want to do business. That's it. I don't really care about their stock price.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, you haven't.

You've made lots of sweeping generalisations based on your perception of the name over the door.

Oh, so you'll accept a crap Sainsbury's, because it's a Sainsbury's?

Point proven.

No, it doesn't. Not in the slightest.

You can have perfect due diligence and still have an untidy store.

Presentation makes things look pretty, no more, no less.

(if you 'face up' a product, it looks pretty, if you 'rack down', it looks less pretty, but makes it easier to rotate and replenish)

Yes, it's for the customer.

It allows them to keep staff costs to a minimum to deliver quality products at value prices.

It also means better availability, as less time is spent on making things look pretty, more time on replenishing stock.

Yes, and your point is?

Other chains also use 'crates', but they use plastic ones, into which they decant product, damaging it in the process. Looks pretty for people like you though.

You've been in one store and made a judgement on the whole chain?

What would you have done if your local M&S Simply Foods was crap? - would you then post a thread on Usenet telling everyone that M&S are crap?

That's just one of the kinds of 'value added' product you can buy.

However, if you shop at M&S, you must buy a lot of value added products, as they make up a huge majority of the products they sell.

Ahhh, I've found your motivation now.

You'll shop at places most likely to give you 'compo' if anything goes wrong, regardless of blame.

Reply to
SteveH

I said that I considered the matter. Whether or not they made any losses is of no concern to me at all.

Reply to
Andy Hall

So you never buy bacon, chops, steaks, eggs, milk, cheese, erm, and hundreds of other products, then?

How about fresh, loose produce? - 'cos that generally comes from the same sources, too, if there are several RDCs in the same area.

How about canned products - tuna, tomatoes, etc?

Even fishmonger and butcher's counter products come from the same sources.

Bread is another - all from the same source, unless it's in-store baked, but M&S don't do that (they buy in part-bake from the national bakeries).

Reply to
SteveH

I would like to have as good service in British supermarkets as I have experienced in Aldi Markt in Germany.

Reply to
Humbug

LOL, you (and your alter-ego's) couldn't find your way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Yes, crates of proper fruit and vegetables, not the perfectly shaped, perfectly flawless, perfectly tasteless crap they sell in Waitrose

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Many years ago, I used to buy stuff from Bejam. They sold freezers first and frozen food second.

IIUIC Iceland took over Bejam and now just sell the frozen food.

There's a branch within waking distance from me ... is it worth a visit to find something new?

Reply to
Humbug

M&S did it quite quickly - and against appalling results from their clothing sales - so you are quite wrong to suggest that it can't be done, one just needs to offer what the consumer wants (and M&S didn't need to under-cut their competitors either) and not what you think they might want.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Hmm, so how ever did a certain Miss Roddick succeed?... Duh!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Safeway was good. Morrissons is awful.

How did this happen?

The shop which was my local Safeway when moved here is now a Lidl.

Safeway built a new "superstore" three miles away. Since the Morrisons takeover, it is not worth the effort to go there. None of the Safeway products which I used to buy are available any more, and Morrisons' "fresh" fruit and vegetables are noticeably poor.

Reply to
Humbug

It's 30 miles, not 20 and the bottom end of the route is congested. Not only that but I said that it takes 40 minutes to an hour. Do pay attention. You may find this hard to understand, "the driver I make out I am" is someone who knows when and where to drive fast and where not to. You shouldn't believe the shit made up by Pete the Trolling f****it, not unless you're a f****it of a similar order.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If you fondly imagine that where I am has any relationship to Pompey then you are suffering from some sort of delusion. And no, I don't consider 30 miles from here to Porstmouth to be "close". Where you get

20 from I'm not sure.
Reply to
Steve Firth

That is factually incorrect Andy, some is very much at the low end but it is not all so, some is actually exactly the same product as found in the normal own brand label.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Grow up, you said what you did, don't try and lie your way out of your corner.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Actually I think he might be getting mixed up between Bejams and Icland, Bejams boomed and then when bust (wrong business model again...), Icland bought them out (as a cheap way of expanding) but have never boomed (wrong business model again...).

Reply to
:Jerry:

So, you have no clue then. Again.

Reply to