Rosewood finishing hassle...?

Howdy,

I am having a difficulty finishing a piece of Brazilian rosewood using methods that have been successful in the past.

Here's the situation:

I am restoring some old (typically 100 year+) leather-working tools.

Many have handles of Brazilian rosewood.

I've been sanding them lightly, swabbing them with acetone until they no longer produce color, and then oiling them (with Maloof Satin-Oil followed by his Oil-Wax finish.)

Most come out of that process looking beautiful.

One however, is not fitting the pattern:

When I apply the first coat of oil, rub it for a few minutes, and wipe it off, the handle looks beautiful but with the modest color I expect after the first coat. I wait

24 hours, and then apply coat #2. It looks fine while moist, and looks fine when I wipe it off.

Later however, as the oil is starting to polymerize, it develops dull streaks that are clearly based on the grain pattern of the wood.

I am baffled (most particularly because there are no such streaks visible after coat #1) and would certainly welcome any suggestions about a better way to approach this.

Sincere thanks,

Reply to
Kenneth

oily woods like that and cocobolo can do that. hit it with a coat or tow of shellac and the problem will be taken care of. as long as you have some form of poly in there it will be a problem. oil and wax alone would work.

Reply to
Steve knight

Hi Steve,

Sincere thanks,