For those who 'get' the internet/networking

I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's my gear?

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router with a couple of PCs plugged in and a downwind switch with a PC and a printer plugged into that. Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?

Reply to
R D S

Can you get any stats out of the router? It could be it's running out of memory doing routing, and then dropping stuff because it's under too much load. ISP routers tend to have pathetic CPUs that can't cope up with lots of packets flying around.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Poor software in the router, it could have memory leaks, or build up a stale cache of DNS results, NAT pairings etc

Before the router I use now (which is somewhat an enthusiasts choice) I had a Billion and it was good, maybe this newer model would suit?

The 8800NLR2 on that page is cheaper, but lacks dual band wifi.

Reply to
Andy Burns

almost certainly.

I'd have a stab at a memory leak in the NAT software

crap router software.

try a different router or upgrade its firmware

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Billion work but the UI is for geeks on acid.

Draytek are pretty decent and so to my mind are D-link

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As others have suggested, the router running out of resources could be a problem.

Another possibility is that as the router re-trains on the line, its over optimising a little, and syncing very slightly faster than it should. This makes the error rate rise, and lowers the effective data rate.. Restarting forces it to reconnect at the VDSL level and re-negotiate. If this were the case you could test it by waiting until its running slow, then pulling the phone wire out for a few secs and then putting it back. That will force an DSL resynch.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a Draytek 2860. When I got it, it seemed to be riddled with bigs (the firewall blocked TCP on port 53 (DNS) even when the firewall was turned off). To their credit, they fixed that (and later, another major bug) fairly fast. I'm still using it, and it just works.

I wouldn't touch D-Link with a barge pole after their stupid NTP blunder, mainly because they wouldn't admit to it:

OK, it was a while ago, but companies rarely seem to improve.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not sure of your problem, but I think the Technicolor is fairly basic so may be something to do with it. I've had a Fritz!box 3390 on fibre for the last four years and it hasn't missed a beat.

<snip>

+1 for the Frtizbox!

I have a 'FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7140' and after having it a fair while I turned the email logging on and that was in June 2007 (and I currently have 4099 daily emails from the FritzBox). ;-)

Two VOIP sockets with all sorts of functionality (I have two localised Sipgate numbers on two std DECT phones) and it does just seem to work.

The only thing I have to do sometimes is to release some of the IP addresses as it seems to hang onto them, but that's about it.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ive just bought a Draytekl 2762 VAC. And its been a struggle.

NFS didnt work throiugh it to my viurtualprivate servers. It remapped teh source ports to 'insecure' ranges and I had to reconfifuger te servers.

SNMP montoriong was only partiua;l, and so I had to use telnet as well to gather stats

The VOIP phone could dial out on any prt that was connected to a line, but only ring on the right port specified...

But it os stable and connects well and it was easy to set up my printer for remote access ONLY from my private servers..

I still miss my Billion, (lightning got it) except te user interface which is probably the worst ever designed.

MMm. My exoeriuence is sketchy but..

D-link. A lot better than I thought. Decent SNMP really. Billion. Very good, let down by user interface. TP-Link. Simply didn't do what it claimed it would. Never got the firewall to work the way I wanted it Cisco (linksys rebadged) pretty damned good, but ran hotter tha a Morris

1000 on a motorway. Netgear, all right but not for the whole weekned. Used to die like flies every thunderstorm,
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Crap cables can cause problems, I've seen it before and slightly broken or intermitant will cause errors and the error checking increases bandwidth as it resends the data.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I appear to have ZyXEL, whoever they may be. Appears to work OK.

Reply to
Tim Streater

on 03/12/2018, The Natural Philosopher supposed :

I use a BT Home Hub 5 Fibre with LEDE OpenWRT installed, as my main router connected to the line. That has been absolutely stable since my move to fibre in August. I have though had a constant issue with its

802.11bgn Wifi seeming to disconnect irregularly and almost daily, from my webcam and needing to be restarted. I just haven't been able to get to the bottom of this, the 802.11nac port is completely reliable.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have seen several routers where wireless lan usage causes the behaviour you describe. I guess this is caused by a resource leak. These lost/leaked resources are restored when the router is rebooted.

Regardless of what exactly is causing the problem it might be that as long as you reboot once a day the problem never occurs. So rather than wait for a slowdown reboot the router each night and see if the problem remains.

If this does solve the problem you will be reasonably confident it is a problem with your router and can either buy a new one or just continue rebooting it once a day.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

Some of them allow you to schedule regular reboots. I think an old Netgear router that I had allowed this. I had some issues (can remember what) so I scheduled a weekly reboot.

The Draytek 2862 that I am using seems solid, although I dont use wireless through it, thats handled by a separate BT mesh system.

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

Can you get any diagnostics out of the thing?

+1

Or failing that force it to reboot at midnight - cheap timers are an easy fix for a dodgy routers that have memory leaks (and some do).

I hate the ones that hide all the useful information (if they provide it at all) behind some dreadful web interface that cannot easily be probed.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I have a 2860 (non wireless; the wireless APs are inside the firewall).

Until recently, it hadn't been rebooted in months! Then we had a 3 hour power cut and everything went down (gracefully) after about 45 minutes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for all the responses, I can't log into the router, none of the possible default passwords i've Googled work, and i'm beyond certain I haven't changed it. And for some reason it won't factory reset.

I remember we had bother with another router some years back, it was getting so hot it was going brown.

I'll bin it and get something better.

Reply to
R D S

When in doubt, chuck it out.

I had a TPlink thast did that. I binned thet too. Or gave it away..mists of time shit.,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So I got a Draytek 2860 and all has been relatively well. A much better internet/printing experience.

Ongoing though, and this week in particular i'm having a royal PIA logging onto Lloyds banking. Par? I don't know, it has been *really* bad.

Then I can't log onto Paypal. Alarm bells are ringing because that's not unusual either. Then Xero. Basically I can't log onto any site that I need to get any bloody work done.

But every other site I try is fine. So could it just be these 3 sites having problems. No. Cos I can connect down the road at our other shop. And if I tether my laptop through my phone.

I've rebooted everything, ultimately factory reset the router, turned the WiFi off, So currently there are merely 2 PCs connected, one Ubuntu, One Win 10, no better.

I'm confused in particular because it isn't as if they *won't* load, because the process gets to various stages down the line before failing. The messages from the browsers all seem to be authenticity based. I expect the sites I refer to have high levels of security but why would it take an age to fail rather than straight away?

"The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified"

What would be the process for diagnosing this problem? Could it possibly be at ISP level?

Reply to
R D S