will paint reduce shrinkage and expansion of wood?

The shed door is only covered with some brown preservative stuff. It shrinks and warps and stretches a lot. Should I wait until spring when it has dried out then paint it?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes it will reduce shrinkage. However if the brown stuff is creosote, ordinary paint won't go on top of it. Bitumous paint would though. If you can get it.

Reply to
harry

every diy shed in the known universe sells it.

Reply to
tabbypurr

No, it's just the horrible water-based stuff. It doesn't even cover the wood properly. Thanks. I'll paint the door then.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Paint will slow down the rate of shrinkage and expansion but I don't think it will reduce it. Water vapour will get through the paint to the wood eventually.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

It will help a little. But not a lot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a small shed in our walled kitchen garden to keep the tools painted in black bitumastic emulsion

9 years so far and its still ok

-

Reply to
Mark

Aren't they a bit sticky to use?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd expect it to have set solid, making use of the tools most inconvenient.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The best option for doors like that is to ensure there is enough slack into the clearances to cope with the seasonal movement rather than trying to prevent it.

Paint will reduce the rate of moisture change a bit - but not that much, and with time it will crack and allow faster moisture content change.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've just read this out to my wife and explained the context.

She suggested using marine varnish. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Does sound like a good idea but I thought marine varnish was very expensive. Most 'marine' stuff seems to be.

Reply to
whisky-dave

black bituminous emulsion better then any shed or fence paint you can buy these days Only downside is no going back if you dont like the look of it

-
Reply to
Mark