Re: Result!

message wrote:

I remember when the West Midlands Co-Op got done, oh, maybe 15 years ago.
Fresh fruit and veg. IIRC, the then chief executive of the WMCO and the fresh produce buying director, as well as the chief executive of the fruit and veg supplier who was paying a bung of 5p per tray of fruit and veg sold to every West Midlands Co-Op store[1], all wound up in jail.
The supplier said in court, and this I believed, that the buyer waited until he'd got all set up for the new supply contract, bought new vehicles, hired new staff, etc and then put on the bite. And he had no choice but to comply.
The scheme unravelled because the Inland Revenue found that the buyer had a nice villa in Spain, and wondered how he'd been able to afford it on his salary.
[1] And that soon adds up, even at 5p a time, believe me.
--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F, SL125 & SH50
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3

Nope. Read again.
On 2008-03-16 08:31:28 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (The Older Gentleman) said:

Germany is a totally different market.

The only reason for that is because of food price inflation, not because the discounters are offering anything decent. Buying and selling on price as they do inevitably leads to questionnable supply.

We've heard all of that before. Based on their track record over the last ten years, that is about as likely as a pork pie at a Bar Mitzvah.
Apart from referring to a five year period lustrum refers to a ritual cleansing. Hopefully, as a marketplace, we can do a ritual cleansing of these suppliers. The demise of Kwik Save and Somerfield suggests that it should be possible.

Morrisons doesn't deserve to enjoy anything. They should stick to their core business of selling pies.

That would be because Lidl markets itself at scum, and scum aren't really that fussy. They are used to being treated like scum, so if they don't get strip searched on the way out they will see that as good customer service. Whereas someone who shops where the toffs shop will have a fit if the till monkey doesn't pack their bags for them.
791 messages - 62 authors