Re: OT: Celebrate your Christmas early?

If you bring forward your Christmas you also have the added benefit this =

year that, if the world ends on the 21st as we've been warned, you will hav= e got bladdered and stuffed yourself stupid successfully whereas everyone e= lse will die hungry and miserable without having had the chance to pull a s= ingle cracker.

Anyone else thinking of doing this?

I usually put Christmas back to about the 3rd Jan when I can get (almost) everything 90% off.

The Boxing Day reductions aren't so good up here as all the cakes etc get relabelled "Ideal for Hogmanay!"

I say (almost) as Tesco are still trying to flog off cheesy biscuity nibbles that didn't sell last year.

Mind you, I stocked up on pork scratchings for 10p the other day,

Owain

Reply to
Owain

;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thinking? I know I do or at least ...

... the hyper hype that goes on and the fact that if you want anybody to do anything for the entire fornight of Christmas and New Year forget it.

Rellies only from me and very few *old* friends.

Yeah the kids like those. And TBH I like 'em as well but not the useless tat or yet another jumper... Screwfix Vouchers (or better Toolstation but I don't think they do 'em) so I can get myself something I want but probably wouldn't buy normally.

Nice meal on the day but not a mega blow out, a quiet day with the family (no rellies).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've been giving people goats as presents this year

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

After the Comet voucher fiasco (and other related things like Christmas savings going AWOL), don't think I'd trust any of them. Bad enough having to trust paper which says Bank of England on it or banks to hold/transfer it. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

vouchers? whats wrong with cash? Why do people think they should dictate where you buy the present they couldn't be bothered with sorting?

Reply to
dennis

China has the best idea IMO (on Chinese New Year which is arguably their nearest Xmas like effort) - kids get a red envelope of dosh. Pool the dosh and get something decent.

Yes - that's the best :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Being in China for the Chinese New Year is something else, provided you like fireworks that go from bang to **!!!BANG!!!**. At the strike of the New Year I couldn't hear myself think for the noise from umpteen firecrackers, bangers and small bombs. Went on without let up for a good

20 minutes before it started to die down. They really know how to scare away the evil sprirts. B-)
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cash or cheques end up in my wallet or bank account and will end up spen= t on ordinary things, like the groceries.

They aren't dictating anything *I'm* asking for vouchers from stores tha= t stock things I want. =A325 quid of record or book token would have me struggling to find something to buy with it. Not such a great problem at= Screwfix or CPC (if they do vouchers).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably dates back to the days when parents thought it was 'impriving' to buy you book tokens.

Does have the advantage that if you give kids a voucher for Game (or Gamestation, whichever one hasn't gone bust) their parents won't make them put it in a savings account.

Reply to
Bob Eager

or hand it over for booze.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or Australia. I much prefer summer sunshine. Not so much fun for department store staff though: Myer shuts at 1800 on Christmas Eve and starts its Boxing Day sale at 0500

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yes, but it's Australia

BTDT even had peacock for xmas lunch

more lies and propoganda here

CHRISTMAS IN AUSTRALIA.

Spoken Forget your snow and reindeer and all that there malarky 'Cause down here Father Christmas wears a pair of shorts.---- KHAKI.

Chorus. Christmas in Australia, is Christmas in paradise, Christmas in Australia is basically, 'Bloody Nice', Bruce goes steady with Sheila, and Sheila goes steady with Bruce, And if you don't have a Christmas suntan, you're a 'Pommie' and you ain't no use

It's ninety in the shade at Christmas, the sun's a blazing 'phew', So grab a tube of Foster's and a slice of cold kangaroo. Bruce is waxing his surf board, and waxing his Shiela too, It's a great Australian Christmas, ya-hoo.

Chorus.

It was a lovely sunny Christmas, we had a party on the beach, Sang Australian carols, you should have heard us screech. Our 'Silent Night' was a burst of light and the likes are heard only seldom, Of 'Once In Royal Bruce's City', in a little town called Melbourne.

Chorus.

Bruce and Sheila disappeared round the far side of the truck, They were gone for quite some time, we shouted, "Are you stuck?" Then I had a bright idea, said, "I know what I'll do, I'll play 'Oh Come All Ye Faithful' on Bruce's didgeridoo.

Chorus

As the afternoon wore on everyone got paralytic, A drunken brawl developed from a friendly game of cricket. Rolph Harris turned up finally to distract us from our combat, By painting a lovely picture of Rudolf the Red Nosed Wombat.

Reply to
geoff

Somehow, I rather doubt that avoids the trimmings of Christmas, despite the weather.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

My eldest is in Melbourne this year. I'll forward him Geoff's poem, he can show it to my uncle(1) if he goes there for Christmas.

Anyway, what's wrong with a barbie on the beach with mince pies and pudding?

Andy

(1) Yes, he is called Bruce!

Reply to
Andy Champ

We're already in a non-Christian country. Go have a curry in Southall or Brick Lane

Reply to
stuart noble

No worries; the kids will trade the vouchers at school for booze or drugs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon