RE: Not in my time

In Linux Mint right click on the side/bottom panel and select "Add to panel ..." From the menu select "Character Palette". It will add a popup that will give you all the special characters you are likely to need.

Reply to
Bob Martin

It certainly is, but may be buried quite deep under a pile of settings.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Microsoft have removed most Win7 docs from their website by now, but here is LSE's information guiding their foreign students to add Chinese support, similarly you want to add English/United Kingdom/Extended, there are hundreds of layouts in the list, you might need to dig a bit, it *is* there, I used it on WinXP and Win7.

Sensibly you ought to remove the "non-extended" setting afterwards, or you can end-up flipping between UK and UK extended, with confusion over why accents only work sometimes (you get clues of UK and UKX in the language bar, but it's easy for that to get hidden in the tray).

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm sure it is not an import.

"Isn't it?" was seen in print years ago, as a transliteration of (for instance) Cockney speech patterns.

Reply to
JNugent

C'est vrai, n'est-ce-pas?

It was in use for years (and generations) before any recent noting of its use.

Reply to
JNugent

Character Map.

They're all there. Create a shortcut to it and stick it on the task bar.

Reply to
JNugent

Right! That's the kiddie.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We Midlanders use "intit" too. There are a great number of surplus "t"s in Derbyshire, but no "t"s at all in Gloucestershire. When I first moved here I was amused to hear the little lad next door explaining his soggy state to his Mum as having fell in some "dir'y wa'er" when in Derbyshire he would have fallen in "dotty watter."

Gloucestershire official county poem, for those who've never heard it. Translations available in case of difficulty.

"Oi canrrn' read 'n Oi canrr'n roight, But that don' reely ma''er, Coz Oi c*ms frum Glossta'sha' 'N Oi can droive a Tra'er.

Reply to
Bob Henson