RE: Not in my time

Um, probably to give them thinking time. Its better than um, don't you think?

I think yerknow in the middle of an answer is the same trick. In Scotland other words and sounds seem to be more popular for this. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No its nothing new at all, like was popular for a while. Also this werd Estuawy accent can be annoying. It seems to be a bit of cockney with listening to Jonathan Ross for too long. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Where a well-known expletive can be inserted randomly into sentences.

Reply to
Scott

A politician would suggest that he will explain this by asking another question of course. Do you think that everyone needs to go on a course a bit like the show just a minute so they can speak without hesitation, repetition or going off the subject. The later of which happens all the time on this newsgroup of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nukeler to you.

Reply to
jon

I saw 'an' History today.

Reply to
jon

'A' is correct for words beginning with H if they come from Anglo-Saxon, where the H was pronounced. 'An' is correct, if a little pedantic, for words, like history, which entered the English language from Norman French, where a leading H was not pronounced.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I think we could afford to rationalise that now, wouldn't you say?

Reply to
Tim Streater

That will probably happen as people like me, who were taught English grammar at school, die out. However, I see no reason to accelerate the process.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I was also taught grammar, précis, and sentence parsing. Not that I remember much of the detail, but I know when something looks wrong. Same for spelling.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There is the difference; I do. Our English teacher knew that grammar was worth up to 15% of the marks, or half the minimum pass mark, in English O Level, so he spent one entire school year making sure we knew it really well.

So do I, but I know it looks wrong because it contravenes the rules of grammar, not because it is different from what popular culture dictates.

Same for spelling.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

In the same way that in Gaelic there is a phrase everything and everything that comes out as 'and all and all'

And in I think German they say " such and such good, the other? Not so much" whereas in English we used to say 'less so'.

Innit, is for me always Asian derived. I assume it is a Hindi construction.

There is a linguistics guy on you tube who says that when one culture dominates another, the language changes to use the words of the dominant culture, but the word order and phrases remain the same as the old culture.

Pidgin Inglish is becoming the norm, I am afraid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bravo!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why would we want to?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dis am not der queen mudder.

Reply to
jon

Absolutely for yes.

Reply to
jon

So I don't have to bother to know whether a word beginning with 'h' came from Anglo-Saxon or Norman-French.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Dis am Doctor Schola, da Rabid Racist.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Knowing that, is what marks out people who have had an education, from Blair's Bastards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite correct, innit. :-) "Innit?" is short for "is it not?" - which is a direct translation of nessy paz and a slightly formal but polite way to ask the question in English too. Being a pedantic old geezer, it is what I usually say. The current usage of "innit" at the end of a sentence and without the question mark could well be designated the "Essex affirmative," with or without the accompanying "ay".

Reply to
Bob Henson