RE: Not in my time

Technically its the inability to deal with a *digraphed* l. They can pronounce new, and clear; but not when the two are rammed together.

Other examples - jewelry=>joolery

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote: [...]

Nitpick: 'jewelry' is the US spelling, British is 'jewellery', so "joolery" is not quite as bad a pronunciation as suggested.

Reply to
Sn!pe

Not forgetting burgalry!

Reply to
The Other John

👍
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I despair that I now hear BBC newsreaders mispronouncing 'biopic' as 'bye- oppic'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

As I've referred to on a few previous occasions, three or four years ago I listened to a short Radio 4 programme about the work of the BBC Pronunciation Department. [Do they still have one?] Apart for maybe a couple of exceptions, the word used throughout was "pronounciation".

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I can't see any evidence of those being diagraphical, but you may well be correct.

That's only a problem when you misspell it the American way. The English spelling is jewellery, and that is relatively easy to enunciate correctly.

Reply to
Bob Henson

I'm impressed by your précis. Not least because you know how to type it.

My wife always looks for crème brûlée on menus... they almost never get it right.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

AIUI it's an abbreviation for "Isn't it". (Wiki does seem to suggest it has its roots in immigrant communities in London.)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Not Welsh? There's lovely, isn't it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh yes, what I meant was that there is some hindi construction that says 'is it not' (in Hindi) at the end of each statement, like the Australian/Irish construction of raising the voice at the end of each sentence to render it interrogative. In French (as already stated) it is 'n'est ce pas' .

Implicitly seeking agreement from the listener before proceeding.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's v. kind but, unfortunately, not deserved. macOS knows how to spell and how to offer suggestions. It also knows how to hide the mouse pointer while I'm typing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

As I already said, it's not the words, it's the construction. Speakers of languages that have a *native* version of 'isn't it?' that they use regularly at the end of sentences will translate that into the English version = 'isn't it' or if you are an immigrant into lower class London 'innit?' No one disputes its an elided/contracted version of 'isn't it', but the more interesting point is who uses it, and why, and why the elided version?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@streater.me.uk> writes

As we are this far off topic:-) perhaps someone could kindly give me lessons? My Packard Bell keyboard has an agrave? (French was a long time ago) but I don't see an acute or an umlaut? or whatever else the Scandinavians use.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You hold down the ALT key and while holding it down enter

160 on the numeric keypad and this letter appears -> á (lowercase a with an accent in case thunderbird does something I didn't intend).

All you need is to lookup the tables for the letters you are interested in and enter the correct *decimal* number while holding down the ALT key.

Reply to
Andrew

I don't normally type in any accented languages, but I do know that a French acute accented vowel, can be typed by holding the right Alt key and pressing that letter. I only looked into that as my youngest son's middle name is Steafán, Irish for Stephen, and the accent looks the same ... although it is known as a fada (apparently pronounced fother).

I hope that people's newsreaders render that correctly (the second "a" should have come out with an acute accent on it).

Reply to
SteveW

For ease of typing accented characters, set keyboard to "UK Extended" then you can use the following ...

AltGr then ' then a to get á (same for éíóúẃ) AltGr then ` then a to get à (same for èìòùỳ)

AltGr with " then a to get ä (same for ëïöü) AltGr with ~ then a to get ã (same for õñ) AltGr with ^ then a to get â (same for êîôûŷ) AltGr with c to get ç

Don't press shift with the " ~ ^ deadkeys Do press shift with the letters to get uppercase accented characters.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There is in general a key that you can use to compose strange characters

Here, in Linux I mapped it to the caps lock key so capslock->o->" gives me the character-> ö

And capslock->e->' gives me-> é

I cant answer for how windows or OS/X does it or can be configured to do it, though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This does not work in Linux. The method for achieving this is operating system AND personal configuration specific.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK both. I have printed that off rather than rely on my shaky memory.

Usenet has uses:-)

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb