RE: Not in my time

Why do younger people start to answer a question with, 'so'.?

Reply to
jon

Theey're obviously following the lead of the Met Police Commissioner, who was doing it all the time during his interview on Today this morning.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Or Robert Preston, political commentator for ITN. He has long started his answers with 'So...'

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Um, well...

Reply to
Clive Arthur

It's just like the way they speak like, like you know what I mean like.

Reply to
Scott

You know, er, yebut, nobut, iss normal, you know, innit, bro.

(So,) it's the result of a dying educational system and the increasing power of international electronic brainwashing?

Reply to
Bob Henson

Say it ain't So!

Reply to
Davey

... basically ...

Reply to
Paul Herber

Dunno. Alas Smith & Jones, series 2, episode 6 -

wasbit

So, you think it is only young people?

Reply to
David

Sadly, it isn't. It drives me absolutely mad waiting for that inevitable "So...." at the start of nearly every reply (and occasionally even spontaneously and unprovoked during ordinary speech). However, although it seems to have spread through parts of the UK faster than a dose of Covid, there may be signs that it is burning itself out, as there are now occasions when I'm beginning to hear the old familiar "Well...." back again.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

No, it's BBC presenter as well :-(

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Am 18/07/2023 um 10:58 schrieb Jeff Gaines:

All of them or just the peados?

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

I think it's because none of them have been on Keir Starmer's Oracy course. Or at least, not yet.

Reply to
Clive Page

Is the idea to make everybody white? Or what colours are they actually dyeing the kids these days?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Peston, Shirley?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Pseudo-intellectualism?

I have heard a claim that it is an equivalent of the French "alors" or even "donc".

Mind you, I also heard that "innit?" was just a non-standard English translation of "n'est ce pas?".

Reply to
JNugent

So ...

Reply to