Re: Cat scares

Back when I passed my test, dogs were one of the nine Notifiable Animals, a collision with one having to be reported to the police. Cats were not.

Reply to
Joe

As has already been (truthfully) remarked, no-one does, really.

Reply to
JNugent

Yes, I remember that too.

Reply to
JNugent

In English law cats are recognised as animals that have a right to roam whereas dogs aren't, one of the first things I learnt in my legal training

60 years ago and still true, I posted a link up thread somewhere.
Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Sprinkle finely ground white pepper about, a reasonable amount. It has worked effectively for me before.

Reply to
David Paste

And the Bodgers, too, who shit all over our lawn and dig holes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Or barking all day because the dweeb if an owner tied it up and went out. Or bitten by one.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I managed to do that by accident.

Mates of mine, neighbours of mine, used to head off to warmer climate in their 'mobile home' which is a fitted out bus, every winter. They got me to feed their 2 cats and field their snail mail while they were away for months. I set an alarm on my PC to remind me to feed them every day using the big store of food they had laid in. When the mates returned, the cats used to show up and demand to be fed at that time for the rest of the year when the mates were home.

No dog has ever done that to me.

Follow all cats 24/7

Stupid approach IMO.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Fark, where was that ?

Reply to
Rod Speed
<snip>

Cats around here howl at each other at all times.

Reply to
Fredxx

With so many cats in urban areas and with so many overlapping, or the same, territories it's common for cats in my local area to have very vocal fights, usually in the early hours of the morning. And after they have finished the winner will have a shit in my front garden flower beds :(

Reply to
alan_m

Simply because it is pretty well impossible to control a cat. You can try and keep it in, but they will get out via a window or while someone is going through a door and, unlike dogs, they are not in any way a threat to people. That's why the law requires dogs to be kept on a lead and cats are allowed to roam. If people are annoyed by a bit of cat shit (which is normally buried and in the soil, unlike dog muck that is deposited on pavements, on grass verges that people walk over and on playing fields children play on), are they bothered by bird droppings and that of other wild animals?

Reply to
SteveW

All these so called remedies that involve sprinkling something on the ground may only work for a short time AND if it doesn't rain.

Again, you are advocating that the person on the receiving end of cat shit has to spend time and money to minimise the problem rather than tackling the problem from the other end and make the cat owners responsible for cleaning up the mess their pets make. A cat kept indoors all the time is not going to shit on my property.

Reply to
alan_m

How would you prove which cat had dropped the offending matter?

Reply to
JNugent

Badgers will totally trash a lawn. They're bad news for well-manicured gardens.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not buried at all in my front garden!

Reply to
alan_m

Again, criticising irresponsible and anti-social dog owners for not picking up their pet's shit but applying a double standard for cat owners.

Just because wild animals shit where they like it doesn't excuse those who choose to keep domestic cats to let their pets do the same.

It's no different to fly tipping rubbish on other people s property.

Reply to
alan_m

Cats don't injure or kill people, don't foul pavements and in most cases don't foul grassy areas. They are semi wild and the law recognises that that they roam and cannot be controlled in the same way as dogs.

I have never had a cat leave a mess on my drive, on the footpath or (as happened frequently with dogs in my youth) on the school foorball pitch.

Reply to
SteveW

SteveW snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> wrote

No its not.

Perfectly possible to have one of those immense cat cages in the backyard so they can never shit outside your property. But imo that is an obscene way to treat a cat.

And dogs piss on everything.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Just as true of you being kept inside your property at all times.

Reply to
Rod Speed