Rant about LED floodlights

I'm happy with this one, much better than the chinese crap it replaced

Screwfix have stopped selling them ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The fitting in question is supposed to be IP65...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Boyes store in Goole were selling complete halogen pir floodlights including lamp for a fiver last week. I bought two at that price and fitted them with led conversion lamps which my son gets from an eBay shop.

Reply to
Cynic

Which doesn?t negate the need for venting to prevent large pressure changes.

The lamps may well have IP65 rated seals, but they?re f*ck all use when the cooling lamp is actively trying to suck in water sitting above a seal (which is very different to resisting a gentle spray from a hose).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

UPDATE:

Today I received a letter from Screwfix regarding these LED floodlights.

Apparently they are an electrocution risk if oval cable such as T+E is used and that this should be swapped for ROUND cable or the rubber O ring fails to seal.

apparently the manufacturers (LAP) omitted to put this information into the installation leaflet.

So that means that people will have to put a water proof junction box on the wall, put a short length of flexible round cable on the light fitting and then use the junction box to connect the ends of the T+E and the round cable together.

This could have all been avoided if LAP had put the cable entry point at the bottom of the light fitting, not at the top...

Grrrrr

Reply to
stephenten

You can get cable glands for T&E - see tlc-direct.

20mm glands vailable in a 1.0-1.5mm T&E size, and 2.5mm size (also fits triple&earth).

I don't know your light, but you might be able to swap the gland, or to steal the rubber seal with the T&E shaped hole and move it into your lamp.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

For our house, we bought some wall-mounted lanterns with IR sensors. And fitted BC-based LEDs with a rating of around 3W. The LEDs are replacable, of course. Cable through wall with no likelihood of water ingress even with our heavy rain and strong wind. Used car wax over the outside to help shuck rain and keep clean.

Very happy. Perfectly adequate light for the cat, doing the bins, the gate, visitors at front door.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Mine are lanterns with the socket at the top, so the lamp points downwards. Used E27 R63 lamps, 120 deg angle to avoid more than 60 deg throw. (W, 700 lm. They can be seen from level or above, but only as a light on, not as a glare. When the R63s go phut I'll perhaps use 120 deg. GU10s and they'll have even less overspill. It's also very easy to put a 'skirt' on the lamp - or even black marker - to limit direction if needed.

Reply to
PeterC

"Can be installed at a garage door, on a fence or on a front door to light an entrance."

On a front door? Kin ell Vot a Velcome! Hande hoch!

Reply to
Jim K..