Well OT you have been warned

It seems I'm not old enough to watch it! Last time that happened was when I went to see Straw Dogs at the local flea pit in about 1971.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I didn't see much at 6:44. did you do the wiring? TW

Reply to
TimW

Did you carry out work in the building Adam?

Reply to
Cynic

There are plenty of fakes around:

GB

Oh! it's a joke! I didn't get it. TW

Reply to
TimW

I seem to remember watching that when it was first broadcast. Part of a series?

I think they expanded the business into a mobile operation using a camper van...

cant read it.

I click on 'proceed' and nothing happens

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You've probably switched to "Cinema mode". You need to switch back to "Default view".

Reply to
Max Demian

Never been in it. I passed it the other day when I was doing my PASMA course.

Reply to
ARW
<snip>

I think it's more to do with many people not having a clue about geography. ;-)

I try to use the relevant compass orientation (where 'North = Up_the_globe) when going anywhere, 'up to Scotland', 'down to Southampton', 'across to Southend' or just 'to Somewhere', if I'm not sure. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I see no reason whatever why North should be considered up. Any flimsy justification in the days of paper maps is obsolete now that we use screens the content of which can easily be rotated to whatever direction one is going in. Or any other direction.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Other than it's 'logical'? Up to the North pole, down to the South pole (irrespective what actual directly may apply when the Earth is considered from / in space).

FWIW, I wasn't applying any.

'Track up' you mean. Useless if you actually like to maintain your bearings.

See above.

I believe they even printed a map of England with the words upside down so people who couldn't cope with the map upside down when going N to S, could.

YMMV of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Possibly reinforced by the early railway companies often declaring London was the UP direction and down was away when describing the direction a train would take. It wasn?t a universal rule, the Midland company for example declared Derby where its head office was located as being the up direction but as amalgamations took place the UP direction meaning London view prevailed. Within London the tube uses the more geographical descriptions such Eastbound and WestBound even though though that is where the rough direction of the termini are located not necessarily the direction you are travelling at the the time

GH

Reply to
Marland

Some interesting bits of history regarding the building of the railways and stations in the UK. The station serving Howden in Yorkshire is about a mile from the town in open countryside. One passenger alighted from a Hull to Leeds train and demanded to know why the station wasn't built near the town. A local explained it was much better next to the railway.

Reply to
Cynic

Because traditionaly up is North on a map.

You should try navigating in space then see if you could get anywhere when there's no such thing as NSE or W .

How would you find your way on the moon ?

Why is the UK said to be in the northern hemisphere when in space there is no way to detect magnetic north or indeed know which way is up, the planet or even the universe is up[ or down.

As without gravity we couldn't describe up or down either as a dircection.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Roger Hayter laid this down on his screen :

It is to do with railways, the up line always goes to the capital city. So all roads going to London 'go up to London'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

So it was.

ARW

I saw the sign on the (cough) back door....?

Reply to
Jim K..