Race to the bottom

Where as this would be the norm around here on post war semis.

No 1 is say on L1.

No 3 is attached to no 1 but no 3 and number 5 are on the same phase (L2) as the cable runs between the two houses and splits between the two houses up to the cut out

Nos 7 and 9 are on L3 but not attached

Reply to
ARW

Now Lou's house 2 streets away from me has a different setup to mine where my street supplies are RRYYBB.

She has RRRRYYYYBBB supplies between the semis.

My parents have RRYYBB with an odd PME set up. The first house cutout has 35mm single sore SWA and from that cut out a 25mm single core SWA feeds the next door neighbours house.

Reply to
ARW

That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask about.

There's twice been power cuts affecting all 150 houses in this road, and street lights, *except* this and 3 or 4 other houses. And when it happened last year the online map and reports showed a transformer had leading catastrophically leading to well over 1,000 around us losing power.

How's that happen?

Reply to
Robin

That is the norm. Paul's link was quite useful in showing the differences. US transformers will be smaller for the same power.

This calculation suggests by 31%

My guesstimate would have been 20%.

Reply to
Fredxx

There's a UPS in my basement that does 'buck and boost'. It has a display of input voltage and output voltage. When I happen to look at it the input voltage can be anything from 225V to 255V. The thing goes to book and boost at about 253V I think. It often does that in the night. I've never seen it go to buck and boost because the input voltage was low.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

No idea. When the 11kV lines to "my substation" failed in the street some years ago the whole village was out. However I do believe that the outputs from substations are some how linked or can be linked to the nearest one - maybe you are fed from a different substation just by chance and historical alterations over the years.

Reply to
ARW

Yes they link where the cables meet. The link is in the form of a big fuse holder. If a substation fails they isolate it and backfeed from the other one.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright