Diana Ross

well who would have thought she couldn't sing in tune....not bad for 78 though ....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

More in tune than many of the artists who have performed at the festival this year!

Reply to
alan_m

I'm not a fan of modern pop stars or music, but Diana Ross took me back nearly 60 years! Happy days!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Who..?

Reply to
jon

wouldn't know haven't seen any of them ....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Diana Ross, who is 78, was one of the Saturday night acts at the Glastonbury Festival.

I have a CD (remember those?) of one of Diana's performances recorded live in front of an audience from maybe 20/30 years ago. In some parts she was out of tune then but when on stage with 10 good musicians and 4 backing singers many of the deficiencies can be hidden. At least her voice could be heard above the backing singers unlike some artists where the on-stage backing support dominates.

I don't know what the BBC did to the broadcast sound on HD but I have a surround sound system and watching via satellite I had to downmix to stereo to greatly improve the quality of the audio.

Reply to
alan_m

Jonathon Woss's mother by any chance ?

Reply to
jon

I was quite impressed by the Pet Shop Boys though. Seemed to go down very well. Should they not call themselves the Pet Shop Blokes now? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes one problem with modern foldback on stage is that its provided by in ear wireless devices, rather than the old speakers systems, to prevent feedback issues, however I tend to sing out of tune with an earphone in, and I think it has a lot to do with hearing oneself differently to normal. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I did wonder if she was ever really good singing live, as it were. On a record, they can chop many takes together to make it perfect. I oddly can't remember working on a TV show she appeared in, singing live.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not all use IEM. Macca didn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Back in the 1960s, the Supremes recorded an album live at the Copacabana Club, New York, and issued part of the performance as an LP.

DR sounded OK on that. It was earlier than the easy availability of portable multi-track recorders, so she almost certainly didn't have an opportunity to sweeten her vocal track in post-production (except maybe as a reinforcing overdub).

Six of the tracks (plus material from their similar album at London's Talk Of The Town) are available on YouTube at:

The entire "Live At The Copa" album is on Spotify.

Reply to
JNugent