OTish:Petrol thefts

With the cost of fuel and stories of fuel theft rising again, I found myself briefly wondering how the scrotes know they have a full tank worth stealing (do they still siphon it ?) ? Or do they just take pot luck.

I can manage quite easily with 1/4 tank most weeks.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

AH THE GOOD OLD DAYS MY mUSTANG DOESN'T HAVE A LOCKING CAP ......shit

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Looks like more recent Windows versions have lost the ability to disable caps-lock. I'm sure I could do that in XP, but it appears impossible in Win10. Easy enough on my Mac, tho.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've heard of increased fuel thefts in the context of drive-offs from forecourts, not people syphoning from vehicles

Reply to
Andy Burns

The original VW Beetle didnt have a fuel gauge but a reserve tank accessed by a lever on the floor beside the clutch pedal. ISTR the Triumph Herald had a reserve tank accessed via a lever in the boot. Those were the days

Reply to
fred

Yes, my G reg (68/69) Herald had that. A lever on top of the fuel tank which was at one side of the boot. Very useful when the fuel gauge sender failed - as it did!

Reply to
John Armstrong

Modern cars have a anti-syphoning mechanism inbuilt to the tank or filling tube.

Reply to
alan_m

Not much use against a screwdriver punched into the bottom of the tank.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The high fuel price means I can easily increase the value of my car by 25%!

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Triumph didn't have a reserve tank, but a pick-up tube in the main tank that could be turned. In the normal position, the bottom of the bent pick-up was higher in the tank than in the reserve position, giving about a gallon of reserve fuel.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I don't think that any normal cars had a specific reserve tank, but that they all used something like a moveable pick-up or simply two pick-ups at different heights and a valve to either select between the pickups or just close off the higher one. The latter is what I have done on my kit-car.

Reply to
SteveW

Don't most cars have an anti-syphon trap in the filler neck?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Rover had a convenient pull lever beneath the dash. But it didn't reset automatically when you filled up. My low fuel warning light does.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes. Jaguar used to have twin tanks - one in each rear wing - with twin fuel pumps on a changeover switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I was (circa 1988) driving up the A1 when I noticed a smell of petrol. It got stronger, then there was a dark trail on the tarmac, then a car with a cloud behind it. I overtook and pulled it over. It was a Jaguar, with twin fuel tanks, ISTR that there was a pump to move fuel from the

2nd tank to the main, but the float switch on the main had failed.
Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

Mini Coopers had twin tanks, but with a balance pipe.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Was that ever a factory fitted option? I know that there were after-market kits to add a second tank to minis.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Just to the 'S' IIRC - my 63 Cooper had one.

I don't think so - it was S version only.

Reply to
RJH

Not sure. I worked in a filling station for a few years, and all the Coopers seemed to have one. It may have been a fad round my way!

Reply to
Bob Eager