Quick *use it or loose it* thread about isolating taps/valves.

Prompted by water flow and pressure discussions I decided to open the bypass valve to let water past the water softener.

Cue a protracted struggle to get it to move.

This was a timely reminder that valves in the water system should be moved on a regular (perhaps annual?) basis just to make sure they are working properly when you really need them.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I Have Heard as suggestion that moving valves, testing smoke detectors etc should be done at the same time as the spring-forward fall-back clock setting.

Might serve as a useful reminder.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I assume you mean "use it or lose it".

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have no idea what some of the pipework by the cylinder does, and as it has those nasty red steel tap handles that have rusted away and valves totally seized I may never know. At some point I'm going to have to replace the cylinder, I just hope that happens in the summer when I can take a few days.

Reply to
Rob Morley

They sound like the gate valves which were in my house.

None worked. They rarely seal off (just one in the supply to the outside tap did, and amazingly, the central heating pump isolating valves did, but I think I did replace those beforehand). Some I managed to close once (using a spanner on the shaft), but on trying to open, the gate disconnected from the shaft and they stayed closed.

I switched them for full-bore lever valves, but these must be periodically operated to prevent them seising up.

I suspect there's no type of valve which you can leave untouched in service for 25 years and then expect to work.

I had to turn my dad's water supply off in the basement a couple of weeks ago to change a tap washer. Screwed the stop valve closed OK, but of course on opening it, the shaft started leaking. For now, I just tightened up the stuffing box.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Have replaced most of my isolating valves with the Screwfix lever valves: Lever Ball Valve Red 15mm (67744) Full Bore Lever Ball Valve Yellow 22mm (30584) Much more reliable than the gate valves. I still try and exercise them a couple of times a years though.

Reply to
Davidm

Picky, picky, picky....

Fair cop, guvnor. :-(

Reply to
David

Loose it or lose it.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

That *does* about sum it up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I had the same problem when emptying my mothers flat, could not turn off the isolating valve on the washing machine inlet valve. Had to leave the machine there in the end, as it was I was only going to give it to a furniture charity anyway so no loss.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It's not picky. A loose tap or a loose valve is a different proposition altogether.

Reply to
Scott

Or "use it to loose(n) it" in this case.

Reply to
SteveW

When I was doing the kitchen I took the opportunity to replace the stopcock with a Surestop and so far so good but only time will tell. However since the device works by using the pressure of the water itself to operate I cannot see what can go wrong. I've said it now so Sods Law is bound to strike now!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That's what I do, after changing those manual clocks that need resetting.

Reply to
Andrew

"use it or loosen it" ??

Reply to