Fixing loose taps

I fitted new taps to the bathroom basin and bath a wee while back and have singularly failed to get them to be 'unmoveable'. Previously the pipe would hold the tap but now with flexible couplings and plastic nuts this just don't happen !!

What can the collective advise please - the trouble is that the family use this as an excuse for failing to turn the taps off properly, and I really need to do something about them (um.. the taps, not the family!).

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

You need to get the tap back-nut really tight. I found a deep socket to fit mine - box spanners would be cheaper, but whatever you use, it's essential to really wind those nuts down hard - as hard as you dare go with plastic nuts (or find brass replacements).

Reply to
dom

Very common problem. This is why I refuse to use flexible connectors or plastic pipe.

I'd have a go at gluing them - use something like a decent polyurethane glue, and maybe brass back nuts if the originals are plastic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You need to get the tap back-nut really tight. I found a deep socket to fit mine - box spanners would be cheaper, but whatever you use, it's essential to really wind those nuts down hard - as hard as you dare go with plastic nuts (or find brass replacements).

Put some plastic "1/2 inch top hat washers" between the nut and the basin and then tighten up with a proper basin spanner which is cranked and does the job easily. Get the "top hat washers" from a plumbers merchant

Reply to
A Plumber

I found these better than tophat washers:

dom

=A0 London SW

Many thanks guys - looking these top hat washers up on Screwfix, I see there are also tap "polywashers"; should I get these also; I guess they fit on the top side of the basin/bath ? Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Plastic back nuts are as much use as a back pocket in a sock.

Get some brass ones

do them in 1/2" & 3/4". Do them up with one of these;

cost so far £6.77. Find something else for £3.23 & get free delivery.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I found these better than tophat washers:

expensive though

Reply to
A Plumber

> They do them in 1/2" & 3/4". Do them up with one of these;

> Total cost so far £6.77. Find something else for £3.23 & get free > delivery.

Fill the space around the tap and the hole in the ceramic with silicone. It will prevent that initial movement from whence it all goes downhill.

Reply to
John

I'm sufficiently old that these box spanners were the vogue when I was a kid; it's always possible that I still have the right ones kicking around still. I think I've got brass nuts around too.

Thanks Dave.

Reply to
robgraham

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember robgraham saying something like:

Fill the gap 'tween tap and basin hole with silicone and tighten nut. Avoid moving it too much during connection and leave for a few hours to set off. Essentially, you've created a rubber fillet in the basin 'ole which will last for years. Btw, plastic backnuts are total shit - get brass ones if you can find them locally.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

One use for the solid plastic back nuts (not the hollow type): remove the threads to get snug clearance, slide on 'upside down' from underneath and the hexagon is (usually) a neat fit in the hole in the basin and the flange forms a good hard washer. No movement and the proper brass nut can be tightened firmly.

Reply to
PeterC