Concreting in Isolating Valves

Hi all

Following on from my Serendipity post, as repairs were being done to my in-floor piping, the plumber capped off hot and cold water feeds with isolating valves. As we had been turning water on and off, this seemed a sensible temporary measure. But then he started to offer pipe up to these valves as though he intended to leave these in place. I must have looked visibly shocked when questioning him about this, because he offered to remove them and use only solder fittings. All the piping (and these valves had I not been there) were to be concreted into the floor! Has anyone seen compression valves concreted in like this before (albeit covered with Denso tape) - any comments? The plumber claimed that it was acceptable, except on gas.

In hindsight, I'm well glad that I insisted on removal of these, as they were reduced bore and therefore a *very* inaccessible place where pipe blockage would be more likely to occur.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

What the eye don't see the chef gets away with (Fawlty Towers).

Probably fairly minor in the can't be bothered to do it properly stakes. I have the roof of an extension that's spreading because the builders couldn't be ar$ed to rip up a flat roof that was underneath to put some joists in.

Reply to
Scott M

I saw something similar on a extension last week.

I would not be happy if it was my extesion and you were right to ask for their removal.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth