DIYFAQ - no certificate?

Chrome reports it as unsafe and doesn't show HTTPS

Reply to
David

That's correct it doesn't support https, there's nothing inherently "unsafe" about http, except where anyone is sending passwords to the server (which is only required to edit articles, not to view them).

There used to be a cost to buy a certificate, but there are now free alternatives, the cost would be in John's time to set that up, so I for one am not complaining ..

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes and no... the site does not default to https at the moment[1], but that does not render it unsafe since you won't be sending your credit card details etc. It does mean that it probably gets less love from the google algorithms. However since it has nothing to sell, that is a bit of a moot point.

[1] There is actually a certificate for the FAQ site - but with your basic certs you only get to include a couple of URLs - so it covered
and diyfaq.org.uk but not the wiki. sub domain. Since the wiki sub domain is now the main entry point, I will change which parts of the URL are covered by the cert next time I renew it.
Reply to
John Rumm

A lot of podcasts use http, and this can upset some podcacthing software. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Since the cert was due to expire for the year (they can only cover just over a year before they need to be re-issued), I have re-done it with one that covers just the wiki URLs now rather than the old www. FAQ pages.

So you should see a padlock icon on the address bar now...

Reply to
John Rumm