Painting Chrome Oven Drip Pans

Anyone ever done this? We have chrome ones that we keep clean but are aging and would like black ones now and before paying upwards of $40 for a new set of four, was wondering if there is any harm or danger to painting them black with high gloss metallic paint or something.

Reply to
Jeffy3

The colored ones I've seen for sale have a porcelain coating, not paint. I think your paint job will last about 20 minutes.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you use high temperature grill paint, you may get 30 minutes.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There are "stove paints" that withstand temp to 1200* . I don't think they are for food contact surfaces.

-- Oren

Oren

He'll be ok then; the food won't ever contact it.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

I wonder if the paint will be able to endure the kind of scrubbing that's usually needed to clean drip pans.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

on 9/28/2007 4:10 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

Just repaint them without scrubbing. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Drippings from the pan makes some goooood gravy.

-- Oren

Oren

Nope! re-"Chrome" the originals :)

-- Oren

Oren

This discussion's got me thinking that the face of my favorite hammer is all dinged from hitting the nails. I wonder where I can get it refinished.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Good luck. I have a couple of hammer heads without handles.

-- Oren

Oren

I get the gag, but just in case some of us here don't know this....

Rub your hammer's face on a concrete surface occassionally so it gets slightly roughened.

That's what I was tought eons ago. The rougher surface helps prevent nails bending if you get a little sloppy about not striking them dead on. They don't skid on the hammer face as much as they do when it's glassy smooth.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

on 9/28/2007 4:46 PM Oren said the following:

Good luck finding a re-chromer. The EPA has so many regs about the chemicals used that only a big shop can afford it. Unless you live in Orange Co., California, that is. :-)

Reply to
willshak

on 9/28/2007 4:54 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

One of my framing hammers has a checkered face. Only used on rough hidden framing. Great on toe-nailing.

Reply to
willshak

I doubt it. As you mentioned earlier, the colored pans are most often a porcelain variant which will take the abuse of vigorous cleaning.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

I even doubt they would chrome oven drip pans, but I did live near an Orange grove in Florida.

-- Oren

Oren

I think oven pans are what - five bucks each at Home Despot? One would have to be quite the chump to pay to have them rechromed.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Just in case I didn't understand you correctly, your subject line said "Oven Drip Pans".

Izzat what you really meant, cause I've never seen chromed pans which go inside an oven, but I guess they could exist.

Were you maybe trying to describe the round pans which go under electric heating elements on the top of the stove?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If I had chrome drip pans I would try to sell them on ebayy.

For five bucks; make sure, the finish is not pinged or damaged.

-- Oren

Oren

Wrap em in aluminum foil.

Reply to