Quick Q on kitchen plinth/floor covering fitting.

I've finally got round to starting the install of a load of Ikea kitchen units. It's a reasonably straight forward job - floor all flat and square etc, but what's the best way of arranging the plinth? Floor covering (probably vinyl) up to the legs and the plinth on top, or fit plinth snugly to the floor and run floor covering up to it? The former is what I did last time, and it still seems best, but have I missed anything?

SR

Reply to
sheeprug

No, stay with it. It is far better to fit the plinths *on top* of the floor covering. Otherwise, there is a danger that the flooring will turn up at the edges where it meets the plinths.

Reply to
Set Square

Best to do the *entire* floor before you start with any units. This way things like washing machines will be more easily removed for service etc and without risk of damage to the floor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Assuming, of course, that the floor covering is reasonably cheap and easy to fit (such as the OP's vinyl). If it is expensive or labourious, such as stone or slate, then it might be a prohibitively expensive option. My floor area would go up by around 60% if I went under the cupboards. I do, however, intend to raise the floor where appliances go, to solve the problem of extracting them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes - if it's expensive tiles etc, then use something else to level the bits that don't show.

Reply to
Dave Plowman