Kitchen floor

Not entirely DIY, except I'm going to do some of it.

We're setting off on the expensive and stressful journey towards a new kitchen, so expect a stream of dumb questions!

The current kitchen is floored with ceramic tiles which SWMBO hates. We intend to take them up and retile with more aesthetically pleasing ones. Unfortunately, the existing tiles run under the units, so we're going to have to tear out the existing kitchen, take up the tiles and then ...

Well, what? Will I be able to tile directly onto the surface? Experience suggests not - the surface will be too rough, so do I have to remove whatever the tiles are bedded in and re-screed? Or can I screed over the existing sub-surface? And if so, how long does it take to set to the point I can lay new tiles?

I assume that tiling over the existing tiles is a no-no? The lip at the doors will be silly ...

Reply to
Huge

You shouldn't have to replace the whole kitchen, all the kitchens I have worked in have a removable "plinth" which just clips on the legs that hold the units up. remove the plinths take up the old tiles, clean the floor and retile, you might have to alter the plinths to suit the new tiles if fifferent thickness

Reply to
polly filler

Yes, I wouldnt be looking at removing cabinets. Floor tiles must go on a solid bed of adhesive, dot and dab is no good.

NT

Reply to
Tabby