Leveling Kitchen floor with floor tiles

I've have removed my very old kitchen units from my kitchen. However the floor tiles didn't go underneath the kitchen units which isn't surprising. The floor in this instance is concrete. I'd like to level up the floor with the tiles before refitting the kitchen.

I've also had to remove some of the broken tiles after removing an old rayburn cooker many of the tiles that we sitting underneath it where broken so I also need to remove these and level up.

What should I use to level up? A concrete screed or something. What is this mix?

Advice please.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Could you not just tile where the kitchen units used to be? This should bring them to the same height.

Are you replacing the units with new ones in the same place? Or are you changing the layout?

Or maybe a self-levelling compound is what you need? Althought I'm not sure if it can be used to make up that kind of height,

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

It can. but its expensive..

Actually rapid set tile cement is not a bad way to go here..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some self levelling compounds will go this thick, but you can get away with a concrete screed. PVA the existing floor to help and then mix up screed from sharp sand and cement. You could add a bit of builders sand if you want to make it easier to smooth. It's thinner than recommended for screed but shouldn't break up given that it's not getting jumped on or driven over. I did something similar in my last kitchen when I ran out of tiles and was already under the units.

Fash

Reply to
Fash