Kitchen floor

I'm wishing to take up the laminate flooring in my kitchen the only problem is that it runs under the kitchen units. Which I don't want to remove. How can I cut round the edge of them. Will an angle grinder be able to cut around them or would I be better with a circular saw set at its shallowist setting.
MartinB wrote:

Can't you remove the plinths of the units fairly readily? That would give you access.
David
MartinB wrote:

But at best you will have the thickness of the laminate under the plinths. How are you intending to finish the floor? That might be significant. So might why you are doing this at all?
I doubt a circular saw would fit in the space between the bottom of the unit and the floor - certainly not mine (units or saw).
Angle grinder might fit (smaller ones) but you could make a lot of mess doing it - some of which might damage the surfaces of your units. Or gouge whatever is under the laminate.
Someone will probably be along soon to recommend the Fein Multimaster (or similar) - but as I do not have experience, I shall let them describe and explain.
--
Rod

I can't believe that you don't have removable plinths - clipped to the legs. Can you confirm?
John wrote: <snip>

I was assuming that he does have removable plinths! But, having removed the laminate exactly up to the plinth, there will be a "thickness of laminate" jump to the bottom of the plinth. Or, if removed further under the units, the plinths will drop down by the thickness of laminate.
Even the idea of using a circular saw seems crazy if you do not have removable plinths.
--
Rod

Usually a small gap at the top of the plinth is not visible. At the worse a plinth can easily be replaced. I would never do any flooring up to a plinth as it causes problems if you later change the units. It also saves on cutting the flooring accurately.
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:20:10 -0700, MartinB wrote:

=================================If you haven't already removed at least one plinth, do so and check to see if the units are located on screw-in legs. If they are on legs you 'll be able to slide the laminate out by selectively propping the units and screwing the legs up / down.
If you can't do the above, buy a cheap hand-held multitool with a small circular saw blade to do the cutting.
Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux

I suppose that sometimes units settle on the legs and the weight can transfer to the plinth. I have had my arm under my units several times to tighten the feet.
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:52:23 +0000, John wrote:

=================================A clear case of 'what goes up must come down - eventually'.
Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux